drimeri
DoulosChristos

Should Abortion Be Legal?

DoulosChristos has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

drimeri

Pro

I'd like to raise the issue of legalization of abortions. This issue is very popular nowadays and has a large number of arguments for and against the implementation of this procedure.

First of all, i absolutely support the legalization of abortions, because i believe that this procedure is necessary in modern society. Some people can argue with me, saying that it's inhumane that women who make abortions are killers and murderers of children and so on. But this is nonsense. There are a huge number of reasons why abortion should be legalized. Now I will give some of the most important reasons for legalization of abortions.

Firstly, if a woman has serious health problems, there is a great risk that she may die after giving birth or have serious health problems in the future. In this case, in case of pregnancy, a woman should undergo a test, make an ultrasound, and if she has any serious problems, it will be better to have an abortion. And people who will talk about the murder of the future child are not right, because the foetus inside a woman at an early pregnancy is not a person at all, just a clot of cells. Life doesn"t really start until birth, or at least until the foetus is viable.

Secondly, women should have the right to choose what to do with their body. Every person has an inherent and undeniable right over their own bodies. And again, many people can criticize abortion and consider if you are a woman, in case of pregnancy you must give birth to a child. Some people believe that the birth of a child is almost the destiny of a woman. However, I do not agree with this and I think that women are not machines for the producing children. This argument is also closely connected with gender equality, which is very popular and actual phenomenon nowadays.
In addition to this, in cases of sexual assault abortion is necessary to save the parent's life. And this is only part of the arguments why abortion should be legalized.

To sum it up, abortion is not a question of morality it is a question of providing options to prevent and mitigate risks in certain circumstances. Taking everything into account it"s a difficult choice for woman or 2 partners, but nevertheless it"s a painless and humane solution, which saves not only parents, but also unborn children from a possible unfortunate life in case of an unwanted pregnancy.
DoulosChristos

Con

Hello, I would first off like to thank my opponent for presenting his/her views on the subject. As I currently understand it, abortion is already legal. I am guessing my opponent is presenting a case to further reinforce the ethicality of abortion. As such, I will be arguing against the ethicality of abortion. We must remember, that we should not confuse legality with lawfulness. What is acceptable by human law is not necessarily moral or just. Certain regimes throughout history legalized the slaughter of millions. Again, legal does not constitute moral.

"Firstly, if a woman has serious health problems, there is a great risk that she may die after giving birth or have serious health problems in the future"

I would argue that the vast majority of people who are against abortion, including myself, would find this a gray area and cannot say with certainty that there is a black and white right or wrong here. If there was ever a time abortion might be justifiable, I argue it would certainly be to only save another life in the process.

" And people who will talk about the murder of the future child are not right, because the foetus inside a woman at an early pregnancy is not a person at all, just a clot of cells. Life doesn"t really start until birth, or at least until the foetus is viable."

My opponent has claimed life only starts at birth. This is scientifically untrue. The fetus inside the woman is certainly alive, and the heart is already beating at the 4-5 week. If the fetus were not alive, why would it need to be aborted?. I could argue that me and my opponent are "just clots of cells" only larger. I certainly would hope my opponent does not think this makes killing us justifiable.

"Secondly, women should have the right to choose what to do with their body. Every person has an inherent and undeniable right over their own bodies"

I agree. However a fetus is not the woman's body. It is someone else's. Does the fetus's body not have this same right my opponent speaks of?

" Some people believe that the birth of a child is almost the destiny of a woman. However, I do not agree with this and I think that women are not machines for the producing children"

I would not argue they are. However, pregnancy is the direct result from sexual intercourse. A woman who is mentally sound and capable of exercising her free will will undoubtedly know that if she engages in sexual intercourse, there is always a chance she could get pregnant even if contraceptives are used. Actions have consequences.

Yes abortion is a question of ethicality. I fail to see how anyone could deny a fetus the right of being a human being. For starters, a fetus has the DNA of a human being. A fetus does not have the DNA of some other being. Secondly, we cannot use the fact that the fetus is not fully developed as a reason to question it's humanity. A new born baby is not fully developed either in comparison with a full grown adult. This certainly does not make the new born any less human in any way.
drimeri

Pro

Thank you for a good answer!

I' try to fight with honor :)

Let's begin ...

Yes, in most countries abortions are permitted but there are some countries in Latin America (Dominican Republic, El Salvador, and Nicaragua) and two in Europe (Malta and the Vatican City), which banned this procedure entirely. And again, I support the legalization of abortions in these countries. Also, as far as I know in some countries it is quite difficult to get permission to have an abortion.

As for the "clots of cells", i mean that a fetus is considered viable when it is able to live outside the woman"s uterus on its own. I know that the heart of fetus begins beating at the 4-5 week but still its not a human being, its just a fetus.

According to studies carried out by Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists an embryo can not fell pain until the 24-week period, that is, an abortion performed before that date can not be considered a murder. The embryo does not feel pain in the early stages of pregnancy, as the nerve endings in the brain are in the stage of formation and can not perceive pain signals. This process is completed only by 24 weeks of pregnancy. Therefore, I do not consider abortion a murder from a moral point of view, nor from a religious one. This is just a medical procedure for the removal of the fetus.

"However a fetus is not the woman's body. It is someone else's. Does the fetus's body not have this same right my opponent speaks of?"

^ Still i support the idea that the fetus inside the woman is not a human being yet either legally or biologically, since it's not a separate living unit. It's a fetus. For me, the embryo becomes a human being when he is able to exist outside the body of another person, only then I consider him a separate living unit, but still not a person.

"However, pregnancy is the direct result from sexual intercourse. A woman who is mentally sound and capable of exercising her free will will undoubtedly know that if she engages in sexual intercourse, there is always a chance she could get pregnant even if contraceptives are used. Actions have consequences."

^ What about cases of sexual assault, rape, incest forcing a woman made pregnant by this violent act? Its would cause further psychological harm to the victim. There are cases when woman is too afraid to speak up or is unaware she is pregnant, thus the morning after pill is ineffective in these situations. In such situations, abortion must be carried out. Such examples illustrate that we need legalization (in a general sense, or in countries where they are banned) of abortion.

The issue of abortion is very controversial, but I still support the existence of abortion in the modern world.
DoulosChristos

Con

Thanks again for the responses, I would like to address this firstly:

" I know that the heart of fetus begins beating at the 4-5 week but still its not a human being, its just a fetus" At what point does the fetus become human? I would argue that a mere change in location from the birth canal to outside the mother does not have any affect whatsoever on the fact that the fetus already had human genomes to begin with.

"embryo can not fell pain until the 24-week period, that is, an abortion performed before that date can not be considered a murder"

If someone were to kill their parent painlessly with drugs, does that not constitute a murder anymore? I fail to see how pain can be connected to the act of murder. Some murders are not painful

"What about cases of sexual assault, rape, incest forcing a woman made pregnant by this violent act? Its would cause further psychological harm to the victim"

These are gray areas, but generally if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, the fetus is not at fault. The fetus did not ask to be conceive, so why should the fetus suffer?
drimeri

Pro

"These are gray areas, but generally if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, the fetus is not at fault. The fetus did not ask to be conceive, so why should the fetus suffer?"

Here the question concerns a woman, for example: a man raped a young girl. Do you think that she should give birth? In this case, this girl will ruin not only her life and psyche, but also the life of her future child. Probably, the girl will not finish her studies, find a good job and create normal conditions for the child. But with the help of abortion she will save the child from bad childhood and various difficulties. Fetus does not have consciousness, and can not even theoretically decide anything.

I believe that until a certain period, it is definitively the right of the mother, because the prohibition on abortion violates the already existing mother's right to life, and the right to life is the most important one. In addition to this, the rights to individual freedom are partially violated too.

With regard to defence mother's right to abortion as a female representative, the possible suffering of the mother with unwanted pregnancy in the future should be compared with the suffering of fetus at ~5 week. I think their suffering can not be the same.

Even if i agree that the life of humans begins at the moment of conception, what then to say about artificial insemination? Because then the fertilized eggs that are used for in vitro fertilization are also someone's lives, but the unattached eggs are simply destroyed. Should this also be treated as a murder? If not, why then is abortion considered as a murder?
Posted by unknown777 3 years ago
unknown777
Heart is the core of human being If the fetus has it then it is probably a human being.
Posted by master-de-baiter 3 years ago
master-de-baiter
if i cut my arm off the arm dies. if you cut the umbillical cord early, the fetus dies. further proveing that the fetus it not its own liveing thing and it should not have more rights the the person birthing it