ArianaSmith02
AKMath

Should Animals have rights?

AKMath has forfeited round #3.

ArianaSmith02

Pro

Emotions of fear, anger and happiness are common for humans. But what most people don"t understand is that, it"s also common for animals. Some people cherish dogs, cats, birds, common farm animals, etc. The rights that animals should be entitled are the basic ones we have. The types of laws that would keep them from harm. You see the news, kids put fireworks into dogs mouths and set it off. Grown adults burn and beat their animals. It gets gruesome, domesticated animals are starved and live in their own urine and waste. They"re used sexually constantly by disgusting people. I"m trying to keep animals from experiencing unfair treatment. Think of a new born puppy being throw into a wall. What law/rights are protecting that puppy. All I can think of is animal cruelty but yet again, who"s stopping it? Most cases are over looked or even laughed at. Animals are being shot with BB guns and are constantly being abused. They live in fear and have never felt love, they have never felt happiness. Just look up "stories of dog abuse" I absolutely believe that you will find horrific stories.
AKMath

Con

P.S. I'm assuming you are a vegan.

Look, animals are important sure. But not as important as humans. A human life is worth infinitely more than an animal's life. So anyway, no they shouldn't have rights because that's stupid. What if someone violates those rights? Will the cops come? What is the punishment? How are you going to enforce those rights? The logistics just don't work out.
ArianaSmith02

Pro

7.6 billion people live in this world. People by far out number domesticated animals. Which means for every one animal that dies, it takes approximately 20 people to fulfill that animals place. Let"s go back to 1619, that is when slavery started. I"m using this as an example of unfair treatment. Slaves are beaten, raped, and even killed. Domesticated animals basically go through the same thing. Enslaved people who gave birth watches as their kids get auctioned off to random people and they couldn"t even do anything about it. Now, when an animals owner doesn"t want their little bundles of joy, they sell them to a random buyer. Some owners don"t even care who they sell the animal to. Now, I agree somewhat with your argument. Saying that a person is far greater than an animal. Yes, but did you know that AI bots are being granted human rights? So tell me, how does something that doesn"t feel emotion is given rights that animals can"t have?
AKMath

Con

Sure slavery is bad and everyone agrees upon that. Except those slaves were HUMANS. And you said it yourself, you agreed with me that human life is worth more than any animal life. How is AI being granted human rights? And btw, you still haven't told me how you are going to enforce those "rights" etc.
ArianaSmith02

Pro

Felony anti-cruelty laws in 50 states impose up to $125,000 in fines and 10 years in prison for those who abuse them; the New York and Los Angeles police departments have formed units that are dedicated to crack down on animal crimes. Also, if I am vegan or not isn"t up for discussion. We will be protecting the right of all animals if we observed more and reported. If you see a person foolishly kick their animal, report it to the police.
Posted by ArguingPerson123 2 months ago
ArguingPerson123
That's a big assumption there because you're saying that there for sure is a god!
Posted by CarmenDW 2 months ago
CarmenDW
God gave US domain over ALL animals. He created us in His own image. He is higher power, so we are higher power. I'm not saying that we can torture them and do what ever the heck we want. but.. actually we kind of can. But there is a certain extent that I'm talking about here.
Posted by ArguingPerson123 3 months ago
ArguingPerson123
Remember, humans are animals. However, only animals that are sapient should have rights. These would be other primates, our closest relatives, cetaceans, and elephants. You could also make an argument for dogs as well. The main reason is that these animals, despite not being as intelligent as humans, are still very comparable to us in intellectual and social ways. We also don't need to kill them unless they are killing people or if we are trying to survive.
Posted by asta 3 months ago
asta
What if all the people who supported animal rights were vegan or vegetarian (or wanted to be)?
Posted by Mystixis 3 months ago
Mystixis
Sorry to interrupt but this topic is just too one-sided. Perhaps you could change the topic to be "Should all animals have rights?" so that this debate would be more fair in a sense? :)