Anonymous
Descriptist10

Should Australia lift the ban on guns?

Anonymous

Pro

I believe that Australia should lift the ban on guns.

Keep in mind, The actual process of getting a firearm does not change. The only law changed is the types of firearms available to the public. Fully automatic firearms can be banned, But I do not have a problem with legalising semi-automatic carbine style weapons such as the AR-15.
Descriptist10

Con

In the United States, The AR-15 has a notorious record for being used by some of the most deadly mass shooters throughout the country. Some of these mass shootings include the 2017 Las Vegas Shooting where 58 people lost their lives and 851 people were injured, The Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting where 20 children between the ages of 6 and 7 years old, 6 adult faculty members, And the perpetrator of the mother lost their lives, The Sutherland Spring Church Shooting where 26 people lost their lives and 20 people were injured, And the Stoneman Douglas High School Shooting where 17 people lost their lives and 17 people were injured. These are some of the deadliest mass shootings in American history, All carried out with an AR-15. On a different note, Australian gun laws as they currently stand are very effective. Calculations show that these gun laws prevented 16 mass shootings. How many of these could have been carried out with an AR-15? Murder and suicide rates have also plummeted due to these gun laws. Polling also shows that 85% to 90% of Australians support the current gun laws or want even more gun control. In conclusion, Australians are satisfied with or want more gun laws that are proven to be effective at preventing mass shootings, Murder, And suicide. Unbanning the AR-15, A gun that has been used to commit some of the most deadly mass shootings in the United States, Is unnecessary and unfavorable by Australians.
https://www. Usatoday. Com. . .
https://www. Nbcnews. Com. . .
https://www. Independent. Co. Uk. . .
https://en. M. Wikipedia. Org. . .

Pro

Your statement seems like you just saw AR-15 and exploded. In America, Most mass shootings/homicides ect are done with a handgun. But that isn"t the main topic of the debate. I was just using the term AR-15 as an example because it is a popular carbine style weapon.

The current system in getting a gun isn"t changing. The only change is allowing these types of weapons. If a person in Australia wanted to do a mass shooting, They can do it weather or not these guns are available.

On the topic of suicide. An investigation shows that suicide did not change at all after the gun ban in Australia. Gun related crime did decrease after the ban but not because of it. New Zealand with nearly identical gun laws delayed their gun ban, Yet saw an identical decrease in gun related crime compared to Australia.
Descriptist10

Con

An AR-15 can be more dangerous than a handgun. A radiologist working at one of the busiest trauma centers in the United States for 13 years was even baffled by a case from a victim of the Stoneman Douglas High School Shooting, A mass shooting where the shooter used an AR-15 as a weapon. The radiologist said of the injuries that "The organ looked like an overripe melon smashed by a sledgehammer, And was bleeding extensively. How could a gunshot wound have caused this much damage? ". The article that the following statements and quotes are from also states that "The reaction in the emergency room was the same. One of the trauma surgeons opened a young victim in the operating room, And found only shreds of the organ that had been hit by a bullet from an AR-15, A semiautomatic rifle that delivers a devastatingly lethal, High-velocity bullet to the victim. Nothing was left to repair"and utterly, Devastatingly, Nothing could be done to fix the problem. The injury was fatal. ". More of the article states that "The bullets fired by an AR-15 are different: They travel at a higher velocity and are far more lethal than routine bullets fired from a handgun. The damage they cause is a function of the energy they impart as they pass through the body. A typical AR-15 bullet leaves the barrel traveling almost three times faster than"and imparting more than three times the energy of"a typical 9mm bullet from a handgun. An AR-15 rifle outfitted with a magazine with 50 rounds allows many more lethal bullets to be delivered quickly without reloading. ". Do you need more evidence to determine how lethal the AR-15 is? I do not think so. The power of a gun is more important than how often it is used. Something that I forgot to mention, The Port Arthur Massacre of 1996 is what set the Australian gun laws into motion. Guess what gun was used then? You guessed it, An AR-15. There is no way Australians would allow the gun that was used in the most deadly mass shooting in the history of the country to be unbanned. So you could say that the AR-15 caused the Australian gun laws to be put in place.
https://www. Theatlantic. Com/politics/archive/2018/02/what-i-saw-treating-the-victims-from-parkland-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/
https://en. Wikipedia. Org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

Pro

Again. The AR-15 is not the main topic for this debate. If I wanted to argue weather or not the AR-15 should be banned, I would have made a debate with that title. The debate is weather or not Australia should lift the ban on guns. All you have provided is information based on the AR-15.
Descriptist10

Con

Perhaps you should not have used the AR-15 as an example of a gun that should be legalized. The AR-15 is the most known type of semi-automatic carbine style weapon so what I have provided so far about the AR-15 does not paint a good picture for the rest of semi-automatic carbine style weapons. A step up from an AR-15 is an M4 Carbine which although is automatic, Also has a semi-automatic setting. The M4 Carbine has been named the most dangerous rifle by National Intrest and the sixth most dangerous gun by Improb. Remember that when you step down a level, You get an AR-15, A still dangerous weapon. If you can give me another example of a semi-automatic carbine style weapon, I would be happy to oblige. Besides, Tackling a part of an argument is still tackling the argument. For example, I would lay off the AR-15 if you admit that it should be banned because as long as your argument supports the AR-15 being unbanned, I am still tackling the topic because I am challenging your argument. But anyway, You have not provided much information your self. You used your Round 3 argument to say that I was off topic but did not add anything yourself. I admit that I did not respond to all of your points so I will now. As I said in my last argument usage does not matter. Usage can change at any time and if the AR-15 was unbanned, Usage was skyrocket. However, The power of a weapon does not change, No matter what. Sure Australians can still commit mass shootings although they would still not be as deadly as if an AR-15 or any other semi-automatic carbine style weapon was at use. I would also like you to provide your source for your last point. Please use your next argument to bring more evidence for your case to the table.
https://nationalinterest. Org/blog/the-buzz/there-are-the-5-most-dangerous-rifles-planet-earth-24994
https://improb. Com/top-10-most-dangerous-guns-in-the-world/
https://www. Independent. Co. Uk/news/world/australasia/las-vegas-shooting-australia-gun-laws-control-stephen-paddock-2nd-amendment-nevada-firearm-a7980671. Html
Posted by kwbc 3 years ago
kwbc
The AR-15 is not a special gun so I really don't understand the hate boner for it. The only special thing about it is its low cost and versatile platform. However the 5. 56x45 and. 223 are a very common round in NATO countries and many guns can use those rounds just as efficiently.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
It is very popular in America with hunting, Sport shooting, And self defence.
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 years ago
Sonofcharl
Why does a civilian actually need a semi-automatic carbine style weapon?
Vote Placed by kwbc 3 years ago
kwbc
AnonymousDescriptist10Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The debate turned into an AR-15 debate that pro wasted his rounds on without taking advantage of it. The cons hate boner for the AR-15 is misplaced and doesn't seem to understand firearm statistics well enough to make a measured response.