Anonymous
aydenbottos12

Should Australia lift the ban on (most) firearms

Anonymous

Pro

I believe that Australia should lift the ban on guns.

Keep in mind, The actual process of getting a firearm does not change. The only law changed is the types of firearms available to the public. Fully automatic firearms can be banned, But I do not have a problem with legalising semi-automatic carbine style weapons such as the AR-15.

This change will benefit both the economy, As well as the firearm industry in Australia as it will allow more people to access better, More reliable selection of firearms.
aydenbottos12

Con

Your point is valid, However this opens the hole for massacres like at Port Arthur. That"s the main reason why Australia has those bans; and that's why they will stick. For instance, Take a look at America"s situation. Compared to 22 other high-income nations, The U. S. Gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And although it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, The U. S. Had 82 percent of all gun deaths, 90 percent of all women killed with guns, 91 percent of children under 14 and 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed with guns. This, Is what happens, When you relax firearm bans.

Pro

The Port Arthur incident happened 23 years ago. The gun laws were not developed completely back then. Since the incident, Many other changes have happened other than the gun ban. The laws regarding getting a gun have changed completely. I am the owner of a gun in Australia. The process of getting a gun is very strict. Back then, The process was a lot easier. Even the method of dealing with a shooting incident have changed dramatically.

As for the statistics in America, I am aware that there may be a large amount of firearm related incidents. However, An extremely large majority of those incidents are used for self defence. Less than a quarter of those incidents are violent crimes or homicides. Also, America has a completely different procedure for allowing someone ownership of a firearm. In order to get a firearm in Australia, The person must undergo very strict procedures. Much more than in America.
aydenbottos12

Con

I agree, But opening the door for people to obtain more powerful guns could result in havoc. Besides, There has already been too many terror attacks, And one more could even start war. Think about it that way.

Pro

It would not nessisary open any doors. Australian gun owners are one of the most careful people in the country. Although I do admit there are some stupid people with guns, I would not consider them a danger to the general public. If a person wanted to commit a terrorist attack, There are many other options form them. Good luck trying to stop a truck from killing a large group of people. There is nothing stopping someone from walking into a shop, Buying a knife and stabbing members of the public.
aydenbottos12

Con

aydenbottos12 forfeited this round.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Unfortunately, My statements will be delayed as I am quite busy this week. I will need to work around school and work.
Vote Placed by EverlastingMoment 3 years ago
EverlastingMoment
Anonymousaydenbottos12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture demonstrates rather poor conduct. I generally tend to hand debates like this to the side with better conduct regardless of argumentation because Con couldn't be bothered to respond.