Trumpispresident
omar2345

Should Burning the American Flag or State flags be Illegal

omar2345

Trumpispresident

Pro

Pro: thinks it should be Illegal to burn a state flag or the American flag
Con: thinks it's okay to burn a state flag or the American flag
I'll let my opponent state there reason why it's okay first
omar2345

Con

(I am annoyed. Accidently deleted my arguments so I am making this shorter then what is was before. )

First argument: The decleration of independance was made to protect LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS. By making flag burning illegal indivduals will lose the liberty to burn their flag.

Second argument: It is not inherentely bad to burn a flag. Murder is inherentely bad because you are violating sometimes right by partaking in it.

Third argument: It is more important the intent with the flag burning then flag burning itself. A and B are flag burners. A burnt is own flag. B burnt someone else's flag. By B burning someone else's flag he damaged someone else's property. If a lot of people had a problem with A the best charges that should be filed on him would be pollution, Public nuisance or be forced to apologize for what he did.

Fifith argument: It does set a bad precident. I am assuming the Republicans would be banning burning flags. It allows Democrats to point this example to ban what they deem offensive manspreading. This can increase the tensions that the United States already has. Republicans have taken more of the logical and reasonable side (Bret Kavanaugh) but if they do this it would be ironic since there isn't a basis why flag is inherently wrong.

Hopefully you do get annoyed at the direction I took because I was allowed to go anywhere with the premise of Con: thinks it's okay to burn a state flag or American flag and you did not set any rules. Okay is subjective and I did not want to debate on feelings or opinions. Think also narrows it down to what I believe but the debate would not be helpful in determining whether or not it should be banned.

I would say I take the side of: Burning the American flag should not be illegal.

Source:
https://en. Wikipedia. Org/wiki/Life, _Liberty_and_the_pursuit_of_Happiness

Trumpispresident

Pro

Yes the Decleration of Independence gave people Liberty but freedom is not absolute if we let people burn the American Flag what would stop them from saying the Deceleration of Independence supports there freedom to do anything. If somebody burns a flag and has good reasons and facts that are true for why they did it they should be let off with a warning. If they just say it was peaceful protest but don"t have any facts or reasons why they did it they should be fined at least 2, 000 dollars. With countries like Iran threating us if we keep letting these snowflakes burn the flag how can we be united as a nation. Burning the Flag May not be rioting it doesn"t even have to be permitted but until our situation gets better it should be Illegal
omar2345

Con

freedom is not absolute- I know that but it does not prove me wrong.

what would stop them from saying the Deceleration of Independence supports there freedom to do anything. - There are two others that you forgot to mention that was included in the Declaration of Independence. Life and the pursuit of Happiness. If they are infringed upon by stating you have the liberty to do so then it is a problem.

If they just say it was peaceful protest but don"t have any facts or reasons why they did it they should be fined at least 2, 000 dollars. - I am sure you know there are courts in place. If a person has a problem with what they are doing they can file a lawsuit. This goes with innocent until proven guilty. If the courts can prove it then they deserve the punishment.

With countries like Iran threatening us if we keep letting these snowflakes burn the flag how can we be united as a nation. - Burning a flag can be a gateway to decreased efforts on wars but it I am sure not the cause of people against wars. I think United States should leave Iran. Reason is because they do not pose a viable threat, No gain for the United States to defeat them and most likely the army would have casualties for an avoidable war.

Burning the Flag May not be rioting it doesn"t even have to be permitted but until our situation gets better it should be Illegal- Are you in support for an oppressive regime? I am not. That is the logical conclusion you are heading for. To me would you be opposed to Democrats creating an oppressive regime. So it would be a double standard in a sense. Why not agree on not creating laws that infringe on American liberty because that is the foundation of America and I rather have it that way because America is the greatest country in the world because of its strong foundation.

Can you address my points more specifically. It is not fair that I targeted your points and you just went of an tangent. What I want is for you to debunk all five arguments I made and tell me why I was wrong and clearly lay it out instead of having it in one paragraph.

Trumpispresident

Pro

You won this argument if we do this it would get rid of people's freedom I just did this with more anti American and it seems like this country is becoming more and more divided
omar2345

Con

Even if what you say does work for the short term. It does not help in the long term because it does set a bad precedent.
Trumpispresident

Pro

Trumpispresident forfeited this round.
Trumpispresident

Pro

Trumpispresident forfeited this round.
Posted by Block.19 3 years ago
Block.19
Burning the american flag should never be made a criminal offence, Everyone has the right to ruin or destroy any and all of their possessions as they see fit. An american flag purchased that could be purchased in walmart should be no more sacred than a shirt (they are both probably made in the same foreign country anyways). All this ridiculous and pretentious attitude towards the flag, Anthem, And anything else even remotely patriotic has been overplayed at this point.
Posted by Trumpispresident 3 years ago
Trumpispresident
I meant to type with more people becoming anti american
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
Freedom of speech protects the right to burn cloth and thread no matter how their sewn together.
Posted by Trumpispresident 3 years ago
Trumpispresident
I forgot to delete the part about rioting at the end my bad
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Leaning

Thanks for commenting on my debate. Airmax the moderator hasn't replied back yet. Can you tell me what you specifically said to get voting privileges?
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
True.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@Trumpispresident
"burning a flag isn't protesting it's rioting"- Burning a flag is burning a flag. Protesting burning a flag makes the protest non-peaceful. Rioting can be covered in burning a flag if what the person is doing is a public disturbance. If the person is burning their own flag in their back garden then it is not rioting.

@Leaning
"I think burning a flag is usually a pretty d*** move"- Being a penis is not against the law.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
Clarify some mistakes I made:

Second argument: sometimes= someones

Last paragraph: "Hopefully you do get annoyed"= Hopefully you do not get annoyed
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
I think burning a flag is usually a pretty d*** move. Though rioting is more like beating people up, Breaking windows, Stealing things, Burning things not limited only to a flag.

Really I can't think of anytime it wouldn't be a d*** move to burn a flag. Maybe if it was a pirate flag or Nazi flag. . .
Posted by Trumpispresident 3 years ago
Trumpispresident
it shouldn't matter what the intent was because burning a flag isn't protesting it's rioting and it get's nothing solved
Vote Placed by Topaet 3 years ago
Topaet
Trumpispresidentomar2345Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded in round 3 "You won this argument"
Vote Placed by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
Trumpispresidentomar2345Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro admitted that Con won the argument and gave solid reasoning for his point of view that Pro was unable to refute.