Davis_2002
theantiweeaboo

Should Children get to choose what parent they live with when they divorce?

Davis_2002 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Davis_2002

Pro

I think children should be able to choose what parent they live with because they know what their parents are like and could choose the best for them instead of running away from it because they don't like their home. I feel it would be best because the judges don't always go off of the best Atmosphere for the children.
theantiweeaboo

Con

I hate to be that guy, but young children don't always know what's best for them. Yes, I've met many perfectly able kids younger than me, who are, to put it bluntly: more mature than many adults I know. But I think that the parents should have to explain to the judge why they are better suited for raising a child than just appealing to the kid to get them to like them more. For example, a parent might only do the stuff the child wants to do so that they will want to stay with them, even if they ultimately fail as a parent.
See you in Round 2!
(This is my first debate, I'm pretty excited.)
Davis_2002

Pro

I agree with that to some extent but the Judges could go off of how the dad looks and records but for all they know they could be the a drug addict and never been busted for it so the kid has to deal with it and then no-one gets to do anything about it because the judge over rules everyone else. I feel that children should be able to pick because they know what the house is like and no-one else lives on the inside. The children are the only people who get to see what their parents are like not the judge. I have been through this personally and the judge ruled my mother over my father because my mother hired the better lawyer. What if the father who is a drug addict gets the better lawyer and then the children wind up not getting the best for them therefore it leads to them wanting to commit suicide.
theantiweeaboo

Con

Both of our arguments are basically "what-if"s, so I think that we can come to a conclusion that what the child says should be taken into account, but neither the judge nor the child should be able to overrule everything else.
Compromise?