Intellisio
JoshThurlbur

Should Children under 14 be allowed on Facebook?

JoshThurlbur has forfeited round #2.

Intellisio

Con

Children under 14 should not be allowed on Facebook.
I look forward to this debate. The first round is for acceptance. Please do not forfeit.
JoshThurlbur

Pro

I affirm the resolution that children under the age of fourteen, ought to be allowed to use Facebook.
Typically I state my arguments in the first round, however I decided it is only fair to wait until the next round for both opponents to mutually express their argument. The third round I will use primarily as refutation, and closing.

I look forward to this debate and hope we can have a friendly and intellectual discussion.
Intellisio

Con

My reasoning is simple. Kids this age are not mature enough to handle this content appropriately.
Teens and children in general are often not prepared for everything that is on Facebook. Facebook contains inappropriate ads, disturbing images, and online stalkers. Using Facebook or any other social media can easily lure them into making the wrong decisions which can often be life-changing. Facebook isn't meant for older kids. Some adults even have the difficulty handling such content.
In 2011, Consumer Reports estimated that of the 20 million young people who used Facebook in the previous year, 1 million of them were bullied, harassed, or threatened on the site. A Pew Center survey from the same year found that 15 percent of teens between 12 and 17 said they"d been harassed on a social network site in the last 12 months, and, because "Facebook dominates teen social media usage," as Pew put it, it"s safe to say that a lot of the harassment happened there.
Children also may ruin their reputation. Anything they post online can be viewed by colleges and companies in the future. If kids post anything they want believing nothing will happen, there will be consequences. Kids should be taught all of this so they use social media with the knowledge of things that could happen. Kids often acquire all this information when they're way older than 14.
Children are also way too naive. If someone follows you and claims they're your friend. They'll believe it! This is not safe at all. We should not be allowing this to happen to our children. Also, if children post information (address, phone number, pictures of them) they could be kidnapped.
I'm not saying that kids over 14 should be allowed either. The age can be altered to 16 and younger. The point I'm trying to come across is that Facebook (or social media in general) should not be used by younger viewers.

Sources:http://www.slate.com...
Posted by bigwigaustin 10 months ago
bigwigaustin
I agree with Intellisio on this matter. I did not start using social media up until a couple months ago, and even then that is just to get the word out on my opinions and YouTube videos. Children do not have the discernment to be able to navigate social media or handle the things on there well. The age limit should definitely be 14 or 13(if not higher) and absolutely no younger than that.
Posted by JoshThurlbur 10 months ago
JoshThurlbur
I think there are rational points to each debate. To intellectualually have a bias toward one side of the debate before arguments have even been stated can obviously skew your opinion when looking through things like facts and logic.

I believe it is necessary, contrary to my position, to affirm that there are two sides to this debate that both can be backed with evidence. I am disappointed in the OPs lack of will to debate his side, as it so seem.

@intellisio
@KostasT.1526
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 10 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
OK, this debate is crazy!
Posted by Intellisio 10 months ago
Intellisio
It's okay. Thank you for your opinion.
Posted by KostasT.1526 10 months ago
KostasT.1526
I did not state that in an offensive manner, as I could not know if you were a Facebook user. I was merely commenting a thing or two that drew my attention concerning the debate. I stick to 16-17 years old being a more proper age limit, though.
Posted by Intellisio 10 months ago
Intellisio
I don't use Facebook so I wasn't being selfish when stating that claim. It's also a popular debate topic online. I found it and thought it looked interesting. That's all.
Posted by KostasT.1526 10 months ago
KostasT.1526
If it were for children to not be allowed on Facebook, it would be more proper for the lowest limit to be around 16-17 years old, excluding both me and you. Being 14 and saying that children under 14 should not be allowed on Facebook sounds a little selfish.