Cactuspuncher
AT-LOW

Should DNA companies allowed to keep your DNA data for profit?

Cactuspuncher

Con

My main arguments for the 1st post you have to refute:
-You could be cloned without permission in the future.

-They could sell information (totally legal) about YOUR DNA to insurance companies, And they could refuse insurance or make costs higher depending on your risk to get diseases.

-On the week of Jun 6, 2018, DNA testing service MyHeritage revealed that hackers had breached 92 million of its accounts. The hackers could hold your data hostage and threaten to post your genetic data online. This happened to a hospital in Indiana.

-(Important) Sold (legally) DNA could get into hands of companies. Imagine the consequences: One day, You might apply for a long-term loan and get rejected because deep in the corporate system, There is data that you are very likely to get Alzheimer"s and die before you would repay the loan.

There is little robust protection for your genetic data, And your private genetic data could be exploited by others.

-There would be new types of discrimination since there is no protection for genetic data: Mortgages, Jobs, Loans, And other services denies, Because of your DNA.

I agree that DNA testing is not entirely bad, And sharing the data is not also entirely bad since they could be used for scientific research. However, This is unacceptable if it has your name labeled on the genetic data, Ready to be sold by companies to other companies. They should not be allowed to keep your genetic data. There should be laws that regulate how much of that info can be kept by the companies. They should not keep our genetic data with our names printed wide and clear on it ready to be sold and ruin your life. Schools shouldn't reject you because you might be dumb genetically or have a chance of having cancer as a child. They maybe should be able to keep statistics ONLY, With no names. (another debate: how much DNA data can companies exploit from you. )

Google "5 biggest risks of sharing your DNA with consumer genetic-testing companies" or many other sites
AT-LOW

Pro

To begin this debate I would like to point out that we require a metric by which to judge this resolution. You have presented a myriad of reasons, But you have never decided upon a metric in which to evaluate them.

I propose the metric be Utilitarian Justice.

Definitions:
Utilitarian: " The greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people. "
Justice: "Fair rights for each individual with proper punishment for those who harm the rights of another. "

Before I post my contentions I would like you to accept the terms of the debate, To avoid you creating definitions that specifically evade my reasoning. If it means I get slightly less opportunities to make my case, Then so be so-- I will still manage to bring my argument to fruition quite easily.
Cactuspuncher

Con

Cactuspuncher forfeited this round.
AT-LOW

Pro

AT-LOW forfeited this round.
Cactuspuncher

Con

Cactuspuncher forfeited this round.
AT-LOW

Pro

AT-LOW forfeited this round.
Cactuspuncher

Con

Cactuspuncher forfeited this round.
AT-LOW

Pro

AT-LOW forfeited this round.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
Why would you give DNA to anyone? If you are that stupid, Than that's your fault.