sisonjk
jayblay

Should Digital Piracy Be Legal?

sisonjk has forfeited round #2.
Started: 4/17/2018 Category: Music
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

sisonjk

Con

Digital piracy has been an ongoing issue in the entertainment business as music is constantly streamed and leaked illegally, in which may affect the certain artist"s music sales. In a study conducted by Economics specialist Robert G. Hammond, he finds that the elasticity of sales with respect to illegal downloads is one-tenth of one percentage point, using within-album variation in illegal downloads and sales. However, the discovery that file sharing is not harmful to individual music artists is "not inconsistent with the well-documented fact that file sharing is harmful to the music industry (the fallacy of composition)."
jayblay

Pro

As music has become increasingly popular, it is no surprise hackers have been able to find methods in which to leak music. With that being said, I do believe that digital piracy should be legal. Firstly I will be explaining what I would have to do to win this round of debate and what my partner would have to do. Then I will be going into my first major point.

If I can prove to you that keeping piracy legal is more beneficial as it attempts to balance the economy and help allow everyone the experience to be able to enjoy music no matter their economical placement.

My opponent will have to prove to you how having piracy be legal is such a detriment to either our society, or how it will immensely benefit our society.

Let's go right into my first point which is it attempts to balance out the economy. It is common knowledge a job such a professional singer has a salary much more substantial than the average person. It is also common knowledge that there are people a lot less fortunate than them who have very little money. It's important that instead of giving more money to the already very wealthy, that it's spent in more beneficial ways (ie. local grocery store or restaurant). By not spending it on music, it'll keep more money in the lower/medium class; rather than just adding more to the upper class.
Posted by Negotiate 3 years ago
Negotiate
Would you mind clarifying on your claim? I'd like to take this on but want to make sure I understand the claim to which I am against. Thanks!