A_Potato715656
Shavo

Should Fortnite have more some parental controls?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 11/12/2018 Category: Games

A_Potato715656

Pro

There should be some more parental controls. Even though this may ruin the experience for kids, Its for their good. There are limited controls, But that needs to be changed. The main problem that I'm focused on is the addiction. After trying fortnite out for a while I've found the real problem that no one yet has realized. Its the "Oh Crap, I didn't win. I'm going to try one more time because I will win then" Or the "YESSS, I WON A GAME. . . Let's win another one" There need to be time limits for playing because that seems to be the core problem. Also, It's the chat. Especially the Voice chat. There are no filters for cuss words or inappropriate words. There are many more problems, And I can keep on going on. But opponent, I think that you have gotten my point. Anyway, I hope to see you in round two of this debate. Thank you.
Shavo

Con

I assume the topic reads "Should Fortnite have more parental controls? "
In which you mean to say Fortnite should implement parental controls into the game as you said "this may ruin the experience(of the game) for the kids"
In which case I believe we don't need to set up a whole parental control system inbuilt into fortnite, Instead parents should decided to control their kids better.

-Note
I will copy and paste my comment as that was my primary argument
I will only address arguments provided in the debate (you are welcome to copy your rebutal from the comment section, If you don't I won't address it)

I don't think you understand the concept of competition.
You have to win to win. You don't win when you lose. This isn't a game where "everyone is a winner"
Tell me any competitive game that doesn't revolve around some people winning and others losing?

Why are you only targeting Fortnite for inappropriate language? Every other game with voice chat has this problem. But it is up to the player to make some rational choices such as "turn voice chat off" or "team voice chat only".

Speaking of rational choices, I argue that the game shouldn't be more restrictive but the parents should be. Parents should make sure to have time limits for their children. Parents should also allow their child the game if they are fine with the negative consequences.
A_Potato715656

Pro

A_Potato715656 forfeited this round.
Shavo

Con

-. -
Okay, Thanks for inviting me to the debate and then ditching.
But, Back to the debate

Regarding the information you presented in the comments section I have reasoning to believe that they came from a Guardian article, "Fortnite: schools warn parents of 'negative effects' of video game on students"
Complete quotes and statements you wrote is identical to sentences in that source.

If you are saying that the negative effects witnessed are due to the violence in the game, Then I believe you have the wrong game to be arguing against. Fornite is extremely childish when it comes to shooting and guns compared to other games. Take PayersUnknownBattleGrounds (PUBG) for example which is much more realistic in its shooting mechanisms and its graphics compared to Fortnite. In Fortnite the dead get digitally deconstructed into colourful flashes of light while in PUBG you see the blood splattering everywhere and you see the body drop and lay soullessly.

The only other behaviors I can imagine rising from fortnite is the ridiculous dances but I find that the most childish out of all things. I don't see the problem.

Dr Marcus Carter, The lecturer you quoted also says "Parents can quite rightly not want their kids playing with adult strangers online [but] digital gaming on its own, Is not bad. It"s no different to any other form of media. "
Fortnite is not the only game that links up strangers around the world to play the game. Playing with strangers is not exclusive to Fortnite, It is a consequence of playing games that connect people around the world. Plus any inappropriate behavior within the game can be reported resulting in bans.

It is true that those who play are exposed to inappropriate language. But, Might I point out that "It has been classified M by the Australian Classification Board" which is something you stated. It is M therefore children who aren't mature enough for these conditions shouldn't be playing.
Parents shouldn't allow children, Who aren't of the age yet, To play.

Creating restrictions and ruining the fun for others is a really bad idea. Fortnite isn't the issue. It will cause a lot of uproar from the community. Fortnite will simply lose players and children will move onto another game.

"Video games such as Fortnite aren't harming children " screen time is the problem" - Keza MacDonald, The Guardian.
Fortnite shouldn't be placed under "Parental Controls" which ban voice chats, Messages, Guns/weapons and meeting people. That will basically destroy the concept of the game.

What should happen is parents should be educated about the game, Fortnite.
They should make time limits for their children.
They should know whether it is ok to let the child play or not.

Parental Controls and inbuilt restrictions are not the most efficient way to solve this problem.
Posted by Shavo 3 years ago
Shavo
wanna vote?
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
And how do they know the problem is fortnite. . Addiction is always bad
Posted by Shavo 3 years ago
Shavo
Pro, Hurry up
Time's ticking.
As I said, If you want me to discuss the argument you provided in the comments, You'll have to present it in the actual debate.
Posted by A_Potato715656 3 years ago
A_Potato715656
Yes, But have you ever thought of the consequences of fortnite? I agree with your points, But fortnite is harming some kids very badly. Look at this.
Primary schools across Australia have begun sending letters about the video game Fortnite to parents, Warning of its "negative effects" on students.

Several schools in New South Wales and Victoria have issued newsletters about the popular multiplayer game, Which is played by an estimated 40 million people worldwide.

Sydney"s Bondi Beach public school told parents there had been "a noticeable change in some behaviours in the classroom and in the playground, That are directly linked to Fortnite".

How Fortnite conquered the world
Read more
"We are noticing the negative effects of this game, Particularly on boys and most concerning, On boys in K-2, " it said.

Shellharbour public school in NSW told parents: "The ability to communicate online whilst playing these games is leading to moments of online bullying, The use of inappropriate language and abuse. "

Fortnite is a free-to-play online game where up to a hundred players can play at once. Drawing inspiration from the 1999 Japanese novel Battle Royale and The Hunger Games, Players must scavenge supplies, Build structures and find weapons to eliminate each other until only one person is left.

Players can play alone or in teams, And can opt into audio chat with their team mates. It has been classified M by the Australian Classification Board.

Dr Marcus Carter, A lecturer in digital culture and gaming from the University of Sydney, Said the concern was at times "excessive".

"The media panic around Fortnite is indicative of tensions that exist between parents, Children and any new media. When kids do things that kids didn"t do when we were kids " that can make parents concerned and worried. "
Posted by Shavo 3 years ago
Shavo

We don't need to set up a whole parental control system inbuilt into fortnite if parents just decided to control their kids better.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
You don't get anything for winning, Why would there be a problem? They spend time in school to, Should that be limited as well?
Posted by timmyjames 3 years ago
timmyjames
I absolutely agree.