LGordon
YakovF

Should Gun Safety and Self-Defense classes be taught in schools?

YakovF has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

LGordon

Pro

With the School Shooting in Florida, This Debate will be on my opinion of resolving tragedies like these.

The problem with mass shootings and gun abuse today is not the guns themselves but a lack of respect and knowledge of a gun. Growing up in the typically gun populated south, I grew up around guns and not once did I ever decide to shoot somebody because when presented with the idea of killing a person I was taught strictly to never even point a gun at another human being. With other people, however, it may be different.

The idea of guns is not wrong but can be abused. Young adults who may have no responsible attitude toward a weapon can certainly and surely will do something irresponsible with one.

To resolve ignorance of a useful self-defense tool, would be to train children at a young age on how to handle one and how to properly use one if the need arose. An example of this is right in front of us. No kindergartner brings a gun to school with the intent to kill so it would be the perfect time to introduce to them the idea of responsible use of a gun. With Teenagers who are not properly raised to respect a gun, and are never even brought up around them, are shown to misuse a weapon.

In public and private schools, Gun Safety and Self-Defense classes should be heavily taught and enforced starting with younger grade levels. This would not only solve the ignorance of firearms but also teach children to be responsible and treat a gun as a weapon that can protect and not be used to mindlessly kill.

Of course, there is the idea of mental illness in teens that have abused guns and this has been shown in every school shooting in United States history. This however is not a just a mental illness problem, but a security problem as well. Mentally troubled teens should be dealt with in personal lives but in federally funded schools, it is the security staff's problem to handle any possible danger to an enemy of the public. This would mean more security protocols and more security officers to maintain the peace in any school.

With the teaching of responsible weapon use and tighter security, the public school system would be a safer and better place to learn.
YakovF

Con

Gun Safety:
Well, your whole entire thing is based of safety. Your debate is not learning about learning the history of gun control (which would be a stupid class just by itself anyway), but rather to be safe around guns. This is common sense. Nobody needs a whole entire class about how to be safe around guns, because there is only so much you should say. Also acknowledge the fact people can't take infinite classes. They have to pick and choose, and I wouldn't want one less choice because of a gun safety class. Safety is just a thing taught by parents or kindergarten teachers, not a whole entire separate class.

Self Defense:
No. When you say "younger grade levels" I assume elementary school, and that's a HORRIBLE idea. I'm not even going to point out the problems of this one, because of it's obviousness.

Conclusion:
I see where you are coming from, but it's not practical or helpful. Takes up time and resources, and people can't take infinite amount of classes.
LGordon

Pro

Being safe around guns is not common sense most uneducated children, when (for some reason) given a gun without proper acknowledgement of what it can do, they will treat it like any other item and probably kill themselves or another. In gun safety classes, knowledge of what to do with a gun should be taught to the very end of what ever can or could be taught about a gun. If it means shooting demonstrations or classes about mentally ill people with guns and how to stop them.

But still, I see what you mean, there will still be someone who gets bullied or for whatever reason who will decide to bring a gun to school with the intent to kill. I've already stated my solution to this in my first argument. Tighter security would not always prevent a school shooting but it will end it before it could get too tragic. This would also benefit with my gun safety and self-defense classes because children would be openly around officers with guns and would help them give them a decent idea of proper use of a weapon.

Self-Defense classes should be taught to younger grade levels because of the fact that older children do not naturally listen. If we were to teach gun safety to smaller children who listen intently and soak up every word spoken by an adult, they would take a class more seriously compared to teenagers who may consider the class stupid. Parents, I should add are not incapable of teaching children gun safety but some parents do not WANT to teach their children gun safety. This results in an irresponsible teenager who may abuse a weapon when they are older

To drive a car, you must take a class where you have to pass in order to get a license. In gun safety, you have you have to take a class to handle a gun. Classes are not impractical or not helpful they teach and feed the minds of children about what to do and how to do something.
Posted by pancakepanda 3 years ago
pancakepanda
I agree with YakovF. Kids could use that self defense to bully people
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
Shootings don't happen because of irresponsibility. Shootings are a purposeful thing.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
I do believe that gun safety should be taught, but not because of shoot shootings, that was a mental health issue. A person won't change their minds on shooting up a school if they have learned gun safety.
Posted by Nd2400 3 years ago
Nd2400
Won't matter if there were self-taught on guns nor being taught. They can't do anything with an Ar15 or any other semi-automatic guns. There pretty much nothing you can do, except run away from the hot spot.