YellowPro55
asta

Should Hawaii be independent?

YellowPro55 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

YellowPro55

Pro

August 21, 1959 Hawaii was illegally overthrown and was forced into becoming the part of the 50th state of the United States. Hawaii had its own culture and society that was all fine. Until American business men thought of annexing Hawaii in 1854 during their expansion fever seeing Hawaii as a good trade area for themselves and I see as America's annex of Hawaii is just wrong and could have changed many events in history. For an example Japan would have not attacked Hawaii if the US naval ships were there. Due to the main reason the attack of pearl harbor was because of fear of the US naval ships. That's my argument.
asta

Con

I am an American so I have some bias. However, I think I can make a good case for why Hawaii should stay the 50th state:

1: It is a state, and statehood is legally eternal. If Hawaii suceeds, then many other states would want to seceed as well causing the USA to fall apart. This would make the US less equiped to deal with freedom around the world and other powers, like communist militas and Middle eastern dictatorships would fill the void, causing millions of innocent lives to be lost due to them.

2: While Hawaii has it's own culture, Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders account for only about 10% of the population on the island (https://www.census.gov...). Their history has been added on by the US. There are many people from Hawaii in the US, notably Las Vegas.

2: Statehood has helped it's GDP per capita a lot. It's GDP per capita is over $54,000 per person, close to the US average(https://data.hawaii.gov...). It if was independent, then it's GDP per capita probably wouldn't be over $20,000 per capita and I doubt it would be over $10,000 per capita.

3: Japan not only would have attack Hawaii, but probably would have kept it for much longer since the US kept Japan off the Hawaiian archipelago.

4: It would make the US smaller and it would make the US less of a Pacific and world power.

P.S. Are you asking this because you are native hawaiian?
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
I don't think they would be a puppet state. The Philippians and Cuba were US territories and they aren't American puppet states.
Posted by WW2GuyWhoLikesWW2 3 years ago
WW2GuyWhoLikesWW2
No they shouldn't, and if they tried to they would become a puppet state.