EJR925
Deferti

Should Police Officers Wear Body Cameras?

EJR925

Pro

[First round is for stating your position or premises. Clarify anything you think needs it]

Position/Premise(s): The body cameras create transparency, More reliable evidence, Accountability, May reduce police and anti-police violence. They are also a good tool for police training and creates trust from the public.
Deferti

Con

First of all, I wanted to wish we had a good debate for both of us. My opinion is contrary, As I believe this is contrary to the human rights of privacy, Because the police officer will see the whole intimate part of the suspect. And that ends the subject's privacy.
EJR925

Pro

Police body cameras provide visual and audio evidence that can verify what happened in any given situation. In Texas, A police officer was fired and charged with murder after body camera footage emerged which contradicted his initial statement in a shooting of an unarmed youth. In San Diego, CA the use of body cameras provided evidence that acquitted police officers falsely accused of misconduct. The number of severe misconduct allegations deemed false increase 2. 4% and the number of officers acquitted for less severe allegations related to conduct, Courtesy, Procedure, And service increased 6. 5%. In Phoenix, AZ allegations of police misconduct found to be true decreased 53. 1% after the use of body cameras.

Police officers and citizens act differently when that are on camera. A study in Rialto, CA found that over 50% reduction in the total number of use of force incidents by police officers when body cameras were used. In Las Vegas, NV, A trial found a 37% reduction in the number of police officers involved in at least one use of force incident when equipped with body cameras. In San Diego, CA, The use of body cameras correlated to a 16. 4% decrease in high level use of force (tasers, Pepper spray, Etc) and a 25. 3% increase in low level use of force (taser warnings and hands on control holds). A pilot program in Edmonton, Canada, Found that 35% of officers with cameras observed a decrease in physical aggression from the public. A study on the Isle of Wight, UK, Found a 36% decrease in assaults on police when officers wear body cameras.

Body cameras are a good tool for police training to demonstrate to new officers of how to perform under difficult encounters with the public. They provide real life scenarios and demonstrate the probabilities they are in potential danger while encountering the public.

I will allow my opponent to defend his/her premise. Then I will rebuttal his/her objections and/or premise.
Deferti

Con

Deferti forfeited this round.
EJR925

Pro

I have nothing to rebuttal.
Deferti

Con

Deferti forfeited this round.
EJR925

Pro

I have nothing to rebuttal.
Deferti

Con

Deferti forfeited this round.
EJR925

Pro

EJR925 forfeited this round.
Deferti

Con

Deferti forfeited this round.