ScottTheChessGod
hihi124

Should Prisoners be allowed to vote?

hihi124 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 4 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

ScottTheChessGod

Con

This is my first debate on this website so I am a beginner and not very experienced, Yet I still want to be educated and informed on another person opinion on this topic.
The first round will be as acceptance.
hihi124

Pro

pretty sure they are not allowed, But educate me if they are pls
thanks;)
ScottTheChessGod

Con

Just to clarify, Yes most countries/nations/states don't allow prisoners to vote, But I wish for someone (perhaps you) could convince or provide reasonable points on why they SHOULD be allowed to vote.

You break the law, So you don't get to make the law. An offender has been sent to prison for a reason, And that reason is that he/she has broken the law. Their best interests weren't obeying or cooperating with the law, They aren't law-abiding citizens, So, Therefore, They are unfit to judge a reasonable vote that will benefit their nation. Prisons should focus on making prisoners realise their wrongdoing and regret their decisions. It shouldn't gift them the feeling of dignity, That should only occur when they have served their time, Hopefully learnt from their previous actions and released. That's when they will become a functioning and responsible member of society.

Voting is a privilege, Not a right. This privilege is withdrawn from you when your no longer a functions member of society when you're a burden to the laws of the nation your staying in. If prisoners could vote, They could possibly vote for corrupt leaders or bad laws. For example, A candidate states, "If you vote for me, I will produce nicer prisons. " Why would we want this? Would you want a murder to have the privilege of voting for the leader of our nation? Would you want prisoners to receive the exact same privileges, Benefits and responsibilities as an upstanding citizen? If so, Then what's the purpose of prison?

We have certain restrictions upon certain people. We don't let people under the age of 18 too vote, Why? Because they don't have the judgment yet. We don't let some people who have mental disabilities, Such as autism to vote, Why? The exact same reason for my other example, Because we don't trust their judgment until they reach a certain age. Its the same with prisoners. They lack the judgment (obvious by their previous crime) to provide a reasonable vote. , Therefore prisoners shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Posted by ScottTheChessGod 4 weeks ago
ScottTheChessGod
Ive started another debate with the same topic, If someone wishes to accept this other debate please do, I would really like you to convince me.
Posted by ScottTheChessGod 4 weeks ago
ScottTheChessGod
If he doesn't reply to this debate, I will possibly start another debate with the exact same topic as I want to debate someone at this topic.
Posted by Brendo 1 month ago
Brendo
What crimes would you consider enough? I agree for crimes such as murder, And drugs. I disagree for more simple crimes like shoplifting.

Also, How long after they are released until they can vote again. A person arrested for drug or alcohol offences may leave jail and may eventually fix their addiction through organisations such as Alcoholics Anonymous.

Hope you enjoy your time on DDO.