JollyOnnOfficial
omar2345

Should Schools go back to pen and paper?

omar2345

JollyOnnOfficial

Pro

I think that schools should go back to pen and paper because, They lose the grasp of learning. Searching things up isn't helping their brain develop. Back then, Students had to endlessly look through dictionaries and books to find what they are looking for. Now they can just look up a summary of that book and use it in a report.
omar2345

Con

Education is supposed to equip you for the future for whatever it maybe. As more things tend to be based virtually why should we move back to something more primitive? To me if they do not learn how to use a computer in school then they will eventually need to use it later on in their life. It is inevitable that they are going to use a computer so why not help them use it at an earlier age?

Yes there is a problem where when technology increases so quickly we cannot adapt to the changes but cheating has been going on long before the computer. The only thing that has changed is the way to cheat. Teachers need to be aware of ways of cheating instead of being ignorant to technology.

JollyOnnOfficial

Pro

And when they are older their writing looks like 5 year old wrote it? Using an example like "They will use it when they are older. " Is not a core function. You can go without using a computer at all. Not all jobs use devices.

Plus, There is possibility of losing all of your work with no-way of getting it back. I have seen students who have completely wrecked their devices and not being able to do any work. Then, When the device does get fixed, They have a whole virtual pile of work to do. It only puts pressure on the students. Students need to take a step back and look at reality. Children need to learn to be formal. Instead of just sitting around and typing on a keyboard.
omar2345

Con

"And when they are older their writing looks like 5 year old wrote it? "
It doesn't matter since you can type emails and type a story for it to be a book. By the way trees are not being cut down for paper instead electrical energy is used. We can't live without trees so I would rather use electrical energy.

"Is not a core function. You can go without using a computer at all. Not all jobs use devices"
You can go without writing on paper if you use a computer. The positive of using a computer is that it is faster and communication travels furthers while also being quicker. Most jobs use some sort of technology. The article states 90 percent of the US job requires some sort of technological skill. You are arguing for the 10 percent which is the minority.

"They have a whole virtual pile of work to do"
More common with paper. With computers you can have an auto save with Google docs if your computer stops working you can also save it on the cloud. If the cloud service is not working you can save it on a USB. With paper you lose that paper you have lost that work.

"I have seen students who have completely wrecked their devices and not being able to do any work"
Subjective and earlier have shown how much greater chances of saving your work a computer has then using paper.

"When the device does get fixed, They have a whole virtual pile of work to do"
Save it on the cloud, Google Docs and a USB. Doing this almost makes it impossible to lose your work. Can't say the same for doing your work on paper since they do not have the same saving systems.

"Students need to take a step back and look at reality. Children need to learn to be formal. Instead of just sitting around and typing on a keyboard"
Most if not everything has some form of technology to it. It increases effectiveness and reduces costs. That is why Amazon makes so much money, Why Jake Paul, As much as I don't like him, Makes a lot of money. If you eliminate technology from a student you are removing the possibilities that a student can use to carry out their work.
JollyOnnOfficial

Pro

But when all of those easy to use fuels are gone? What will we be using to charge up our Hp Chromebooks, Or Macbooks? We live with both of them. After that, We will just go back to pen and paper.

That 10 percent of people still matter. People still are using pen and paper, And are even buying more of it and still using it. "Pencil sales in the United States increased 6. 8 percent last year, According to a study by the NPD Group. " (As of 2015. )
You can't just throw out the other amount of people due to them not being able to use technology. Overall, Buying a pack of pencils or even just one mechanical pencil that will last you years would cost you less than a device. Like an Apple Pc.

Many schools still do not utilize those forms of work, Coming from "Save it on the cloud, Google Docs and a USB. " It takes more time to set that up and uses up solid class time. The school that I go to don't utilize those forms of saving. Not being able to bring your personal mobile device into a classroom is another deal. I knew that you were going to make this argument. But those servers that are backing those systems up can shut down and you can lose your progress for a long amount of time before you can get it back.

The statement that I have made is however not subjective as it has even happened to me, A kid who keeps his things nice and doesn't break them. Currently, My screen is on the verge of breaking. It will even happen to you at some point I presume.

Forgetting passwords, And losing the servers can be another issue of losing all of your work. You can safely store paper in a folder or at a desk. It will not be easily lost.

Of course you will not lose the ability to use a computer all of the time, You can make children adapt to these things and make a hybrid out of it. Things will never be all computers. There will at least be some substance of pen and paper working. But what I want is that I want children to be able to learn how to write with better experience. Writing letters to family members gives more substance to what you are trying to convey. You can save that somewhere close. But with computers, You have to log in and you don't get the same emotional experience as paper. Handwriting is important and I am trying not to lose that in our modern culture today.
omar2345

Con

"Pencil sales in the United States increased 6. 8 percent last year, According to a study by the NPD Group. " (As of 2015. )"
Buying pencils is different to having your livelihood depend on it.

"But those servers that are backing those systems up can shut down and you can lose your progress for a long amount of time before you can get it back. "
Use a USB or save it on Google Docs. If you use all 3 systems at most it would take up to 10 minutes.

"A kid who keeps his things nice and doesn't break them"
A is one person. Mine is about a lot more people.

"My screen is on the verge of breaking. It will even happen to you at some point I presume. "
Take better care of it.

"Forgetting passwords"
Forgetting where I put a piece of paper

"You can safely store paper in a folder or at a desk. "
You can safely store files in a folder or on your desktop.

"Writing letters to family members gives more substance to what you are trying to convey. "
How about phoning people? That I am sure it better than sending your relatives a letter.

"You have to log in and you don't get the same emotional experience as paper. "
Logging in is not as bad as losing all your work. Losing all your work on a computer is less likely than losing a paper copy.
I can say I enjoy typing on the computer.

Sorry about not covering every single sentence you said. Basically the post went through but then just did not accept it. Don't know why. I just typed up the most important things you said instead of covering everything you said.

Hopefully you have learned something new

Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@JollyOnnOfficial

Depends but generally yes.
Posted by JollyOnnOfficial 3 years ago
JollyOnnOfficial
It's always good to try new things.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@JollyOnnOfficial

Yeah sure I will check it out.
Not any time soon but some time in the future.
When seeing the reviews and impressions I don't think it would be the same reasons why I like the Anime but I'll give it a try.
Posted by JollyOnnOfficial 3 years ago
JollyOnnOfficial
@omar2345

I have not watched all of the new ones but I recommend you watching Rebuild of Evangelion and Evangelion 1. 0 and 2. 0. Of course almost any form of Evangelion would be great but I recommend those ones because they give a new focus.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
Source: Technology is dramatically invading nearly all US jobs, Even lower-skilled occupations (CNBC)
Type it in because it does not let me copy the URL.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@JollyOnnOfficial

Great to see another fan of Evangelion.

Would you recommend me watching the movies?
Not the End of Evangelion or the other one that summarises the Anime but the new ones.

Did you like Anime ending?
I preferred but also liked the End of Evangelion movie as well. I still prefer the Anime ending because it focuses on the main character a lot more which I do like.
Vote Placed by backwardseden 3 years ago
backwardseden
JollyOnnOfficialomar2345Tied
Reasons for voting decision: People from India are taking American jobs because of computers. Not because of pens and paper. If kids are not taught how to use computers from grade school as Con stated and implied, they will fall behind. They will fall behind here in this country and should they choose to go to some other country, they will not be able to compete for the well-earned jobs. Computers are faster, easier, far reaching as con has stated.