Wildcat22
bdsbds95632

Should Taiwan Declare Independence

bdsbds95632 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Wildcat22

Con

Alright so I'm going to start out this debate by first saying that I'm new to debate.org, but I have participated in competitive debate before. As for the ground rules of this debate, no ad hominem fallacies. In support of your arguments, please use evidence and/or valid logical claims to support your position. Please no logical fallacies! I really want this debate to be as educational and beneficial as possible. With that said, I'll go ahead and present my arguments on why Taiwan (Republic of China) should not declare independence from China (People's Republic of China).

In reality China has neither grip nor influence on Taiwan. When dealing with Taiwan's status, it is imperative to distinguish independence in word and independence in deed. In all respects but name, Taiwan is an independent country: it has its own government, economy, military, and constitution. But in word it is not independent merely because no country recognizes it as such. Since Taiwan acts as an independent country in the status quo, what benefit would be gained from declaring independence. This would be nothing but a symbolic move, one that has no benefit but would upset the delicate status quo by unnecessarily provoking China. A declaration of independence would not change how Taiwan operates; it would merely endanger Taiwan by incurring a threat from China. Declaring independence simply is not a sensical policy nor is it a policy that has any real-world benefit for Taiwan.
bdsbds95632

Pro

As you stated already, China has nearly no influence on Taiwan, but they control them. I am sure that the us and many other countries would help Taiwan if china were to start a war. at this point China is nearly a military dictatorship. although People in Taiwan are unlikely to see this if anyone can see this in Taiwan it is a good idea to declare independence. china stops freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of thought, the right to peacefully protest and many other rights that they deserve. China used to be a country under control of the soviet union and as they were used to this being acceptable behavior in politics but that still gives them many reasons to declare independance
Wildcat22

Con

I would agree, China certainly doesn't have an ideal track record concerning human rights. And I actually agree with most of what you said, except for the first sentence. First, there was no evidence to support the claim that China has even the least bit of control over Taiwan. Secondly, I know from personal experience since I am half Taiwanese and have been to Taiwan several times (more importantly a quick google search for a credible news source, not including Wikipedia or Quora, will verify this) that China has zero control over China in deed. Taiwan OPERATES completely independently already in the status quo, so as mentioned earlier there would be no benefit to declaring independence from China.
Posted by silverhyruler 1 year ago
silverhyruler
interesting discussion.