Minddagger
JacksonM123

Should Tumblr be closed down?

Started: 12/31/2017 Category: Arts

Minddagger

Pro

I fear that Tumblr is a Mess of what it is supposed to be, from what is supposed to be where you can draw art, to where you write Paragraphs of Biased info, Death threats, and the ability to send hate art, gore, and porn, not to mention its Many times leading Fandoms to the floor.

I think that tumblr should be shut down, sure many people has put art into it but we might be saving lives from death threats and possibly suicide.
JacksonM123

Con

If you want to shut down Tumblr to slow death threats and suicides, then you would need to stop people from communicating with each other at all, on social media, on the internet, and in person. People are mean to each other everywhere, online and offline. Shutting down Tumblr for that reason would lose a lot of that beautiful art you mentioned, and the jerks who harass people will simply go somewhere else and keep doing it.
Minddagger

Pro

Yes, tumblr has Beautiful art, but that said art is dictated by SJWs who harass and attack anyone who do not have their drawings related to the canon (example: drawing a fat person skinny, shipping a canon gay character with a boy) which lead to harassment and death threats,

also, Death threats and cyberbullying can be stopped by censoring such comments, sure some might pull though the censor, but it wont leave as much as an impact as leaving no censor at all would, and that's right, tumblr does not have a censor, they barely even ban people.

I am also concerned due to the ability tumblr gives to send Gore and Porn to other tumblr users, possibly traumatizing them,

and yes, I have thought about the jerks who harass people moving to another website, but even so, they only have two options: Deviant art and 4chan, and even that will limit them, because deviant art, while allowing the ability to make rants, it is more careful and can quickly perm ban the user for sending death threats, if someone reports it.

don't you want people to have freedom to draw whatever they want, without being worried of being harassed?
JacksonM123

Con

Trying to shut down hate on such a huge level is pointless. If hateful people don't post their hateful thoughts to Tumblr, then they can put it on Twitter or Reddit or Facebook or Snapchat or Instagram. That's what I mean by "moving to other social media platforms."

There will always be hate in the world. And hateful people will always find ways to send their terrible messages out to others. The only way to combat hate is not by trying to block it off, but by spreading love to those who need it.
Minddagger

Pro

it is true that their is hate in the world, but that's what I am saying, I'm not saying block off all hate, I'm saying that these hateful people belong on 4chan, not in a website where they share it with innocent people, if we shut down tumblr and send them off, they will just go back to complaining about politics without sending threats to any innocent artists, and then, after the smoke has cleared, a new tumblr can be made by the creators of the website, one with a safer filter. I see where your going at, but I think that shutting down a website to remake it to be safer is a much better way to go.
JacksonM123

Con

That is a fair point, but all those people wouldn't necessarily go to 4chan. They will also go out into the real world and so on and so forth and spread their hate and intolerance. Tumblr is a good thing in general, but the programmers just need to bring down the iron fist, so to speak. Destroying Tumblr and restarting it from the ashes will mean that a lot of good websites will be destroyed, and a lot of users won't want to design their website all over again. So they will just leave and the beautiful art you want to preserve will be lost.

The Tumblr programmers just need to design new safety features/restrictions from where they are right now
Minddagger

Pro

why wouldn't they go to 4chan? that pace is full of people like them, and I need to agree on the ironfist thing, but while they add more restrictions and filters, upon hearing the news, the sjws on it will attack and harass the programmers with the very site they are trying to fix, it would be better for a temporary shutdown to shut them up, and then remake it, that way they would have no choice to o to the one place where they are welcome: 4chan
JacksonM123

Con

It's just not that simple. These people have lots of other choices besides 4chan, and they can go to numerous other websites and places besides tumblr and 4chan, you know

Think about all the Tumblr users who will be disappointed about the shutdown, and won't put forth the effort to make their accounts again.
Posted by Minddagger 9 months ago
Minddagger
Followerofchrist, I am a Christian too but do you really need to bother with being religious abot something nothing to do with Christianity?
Posted by Minddagger 9 months ago
Minddagger
your opinion is respected, unexaminedlife. do you wish to accept my challenge, its understandable if you at no
Posted by TheUnexaminedLife 9 months ago
TheUnexaminedLife
Yeah, you're so right FollowerofChrist1955. I can ignore all Christian ethics because my life on earth is temporary; there's no reason to uncritically obey any of the commands or teachings of the Bible.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 9 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
How strange to concern yourselves over things you only have to deal with for 70+ years then you die and go to Hell, because you Choose to ignore the most important question? Are you Saved? Do you know God! If not, all other things are pointless, as they will not comfort you in Hells flames! Will they?

All the lies of it doesn"t exist, I don"t believe, you can"t prove it ...... will in any way diminish your burning!
Posted by ProgressCityDweller 9 months ago
ProgressCityDweller
Btw, how do I change my profile picture? I can't find a button or feature on the settings page to change it.
ProgressCityDweller
ProgressCityDweller
The whole internet needs to be shut down.
TheUnexaminedLife
You do not shut down an online society because you dislike part of it. You can apply the same argument you give against Tumblr to the whole of the internet.