YakovF
PyromanGaming

Should Uniform Be Allowed in Schools?

YakovF

Pro

Round 1: State your claim
Round 2: It's your one round for argument and closing statements. Go all out.

My claim: Schools should be allowed to require their students to wear uniform. I'm not saying it should be required by law that all students have to wear uniforms. What I'm saying that is individual schools should be allowed to require their students uniform.
PyromanGaming

Con

Hello! My claim is that i disagree with the resolution that this house believes that school uniforms should be allowed. I hope that by the end of round two that you will strongly agree with my arguments i put out to you. Thank you.
YakovF

Pro

My claim
Schools should be allowed to require their students to wear uniform. I'm not saying it should be required by law that all students have to wear uniforms. What I'm saying that is individual schools should be allowed to require their students uniform.

My argument
I'm not going to argue that all schools should have it, or if it's good, but why it should be allowed (Not mandatory, but allowed). It is the school's choice to input a uniform or not. They are allowed to make rules, and are allowed to do what they think is right. If they think it will be better with uniforms, they are allowed to. On no morality point can I see why uniforms are bad. I'm not speaking on a child morality point, but rather an adult morality point. If you don't like the rule, go to a different school.

It is time to address the counter arguments

"It is against the 1st amendment, freedom of speech"
Ok, this is nonsense, and to put it into an example, here you go:
The first amendment allowed for freedom of religion. Then shouldn't Islamic people be allowed to kill Jews due to the fact it's allowed for them to do so? Or Christians to discriminate against gays. But that's religion, what about speech? Is it allowed to speak hate speech, and Nazi propaganda? No. There are rules, even on amendments. School is like a government. They have rules.

"It prevents people from expressing their true selves"
Clothes isn't everything. Clothes isn't even a big part of it. People can express themselves in other ways than clothes, and if you don't think that... Well I'm sorry to say, but you're a horrible person.

"If we have a school uniform, everybody will look alike"
No. You tell apart a friend by their looks, not the clothes. We always have.

I hope you look at this argument on an adult point of view, and good luck to con on his argument. That will be all.
PyromanGaming

Con

Hello! Today I am debating for side opposition on this house believes that school uniforms should be allowed in schools. Before I do anything else, I would like to counter some of my opponent"s points.

My opponent has assumed that one of my arguments is that it"s part of the first amendment. I am not American first of all. I am not one of those people who agrees with something just because a rule in my country says so. That"s just ignorant. What I am saying is that the freedom of expression students not having uniforms allows for does not conflict with the main objective of the school environment, which is to teach someone.

My opponent has said almost nothing about their case and has wasted time explaining why the most stupid arguments that people on my side could have are wrong.

Now, on to my pillars. I will be presenting three arguments for you today:
- Uniforms limit the freedom of expression that individuals have
- Uniforms are unnecessary for learning, and
- The student body hates them

So when we look at the fundamental freedoms we find that in many democratic and ethical countries we find at least some form of freedom of expression. Let's look at Canada, a well respected country. We find that we are allowed freedom of speech and freedom of expression in general. Practices and movements against expression such as political correctness are starting to go out of practice. We can apply this logic to the school area. These children want to express themselves as they want to. People who support proposition will argue that bullying is a common byproduct of expression. But by taking away their freedom of expression we are ignoring the main problem here. These bullies are going to bully these children in other areas. This isn't a problem with the freedom of expression that a lack of uniforms provides, this is a problem with the fundamental morals of parents and teachers regarding bullying.

Next i would like to point out that uniforms are unnecessary for learning. I don't know about you, but the fact that I'm wearing a Minecraft shirt doesn't affect how well i do on algebra. The main objective of school is to teach you how to succeed in life. What my opponent is proposing is that my Minecraft shirt interferes with my school work. That is an objectively wrong statement.

My third and final argument is that the majority of students largely dislike uniforms. When i see someone forcing someone else to do something that they don't want to do, i call that tyranny. The functional aspect of school is not damaged whatsoever by a lack of uniforms, but what my opponent is going to try to convince you of is that it is.

These are my three arguments on why I completely disagree with the resolution that this house believe that uniforms should be allowed in schools. Thank you!
Posted by PyromanGaming 3 years ago
PyromanGaming
I would like to talk about some of your concerns regarding my argument.

My first issue is that there is no functional reason to possibly implement uniforms into the school environment. You mention how some people may think that getting children to put on uniforms is their choice, and that we should respect that. So we are respecting what these people want to do in your eyes. You mention how schools run like a government, so according to your own logic, we should be having students voting for whether or not we should get kids to wear uniforms.

Your last point about how children will become spoiled brats by always having their way is illogical. What I am arguing here is that the students at schools with uniforms are having their universal freedoms taken away, that"s what I mean by tyranny. When you say that children practicing their freedoms is bratty, I could say that you are practicing your freedom of speech, so therefore you"re a brat.

I don"t actually think that you"re a brat. I don"t put out ad homonym attacks on others. I am just showing you how incoherent the counters you have put out in your comment are. I"m really enjoying debating against you. Thank you!
Posted by YakovF 3 years ago
YakovF
What really annoyed me is that you said I "assumed" it was about the first amendment. It was a lot more than that. It was the freedom of speech, which is the first amendment. What annoys me even more is that I addressed NONE of your claims, but I addressed all but 2 of them, and here they are:

"but the fact that I'm wearing a Minecraft shirt doesn't affect how well i do on algebra"
Again, it's the schools choice. It is your choice to go to that school, but to outright ban uniforms? Not a good idea.

"My third and final argument is that the majority of students largely dislike uniforms. When i see someone forcing someone else to do something that they don't want to do, i call that tyranny"
So you support anarchy? Why do people go to jail? They don't want to do it... BECAUSE IT'S BETTER FOR SOCIETY. In this situation, if you let a kid do whatever they want, they will become a spoiled brat.