AmericanNick
pi3.14

Should abortion be legal?

pi3.14 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

AmericanNick

Pro

Allowing people freedom is preferable in situations where there is reasonable doubt concerning the ethics. There is reasonable doubt that a fetus is a human being, therefore it should be legal.
pi3.14

Con

Thank you for challenging me to this debate.

Anyway, please state your evidence as to why you believe that there is reasonable doubt that a fetus is a human being. Also, would you agree that if I give enough evidence that a fetus is a human being that I would win the debate?

Good luck and I await your response.
AmericanNick

Pro

There is reasonable doubt that a fetus is a human being as there is not a non-controversial definition of a human being. Most people agree on the basics, but the fringe cases contain a high level of disagreement. Is a person in a coma a human being? Are people from 10,000 years ago human beings? At what precise point does an organism attain the status of humanity? Would a person's consciousness digitally transferred into a computer be a human? These debates and more highlight the complex nature of what human beings are, thus there is reasonable doubt that a non-born being is human.

>Also, would you agree that if I give enough evidence that a fetus is a human being that I would win the debate?
You would win in that case, however considering this is highly debated by both scientists and philosophers I find it unlikely you would be able to give evidence that be unreasonable to argue against. To specify, my claim is not that fetuses are not human beings, but rather that it is reasonable to doubt that they are. I also consider it reasonable to consider them as human beings. When evidence does not lead to an obvious conclusion, two parties can disagree and still both be reasonable.
Posted by pi3.14 3 years ago
pi3.14
Sorry, I had to forfeit because it kept saying that there was some sort of problem. Anyway, if you would like to continue the debate, you can challenge me.