YeshuaBought
lovetoargue

Should abortion be safe, legal, and rare?

YeshuaBought has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

YeshuaBought

Pro

I believe that personhood begins at implantation of the fertilized egg, but last resort abortion should be safe, legal, and rare for the mother. This is a no ban debate. When two human lives are connected, there has to be some choice. I lean towards choosing life for the baby, but if the mother needs a last resort abortion depending on the reason, she has the right to choose before the baby can feel pain. The issue of rape comes to mind, as well as other what ifs. Ugly situations call for ugly choices. If abortion is abolished, women and girls will die, and that is not prolife. 31 states allow rapist to sue for custody stopping the adoption, so the victim/mother has to "choose" between aborting the baby, coparenting with her rapist, or handing her baby over to the state. I heard of a rape victim who was arrested for refusing to coparent with her rapist. In America. Can you say rape culture? What if the mother is 10 years old? She has the right to choose for that reason alone. What if the mother might die or have medical problems? What if something is severy wrong with the baby? There are no legal protections for abused wives, and as hard as this is to say, my mother would have had the right to abortion me due to my abusive father, because again, she has the right to not coparent with an abuser. What if the mother is pregnant with 5 babies, and she just does not have the ability to risk her and the babies' health? What about women in severe poverty, or whatever? What if the mother is mentally ill. All medications used for any mental illness cause birth defects, so pregnant mothers are denied their medications, making the abortion MEDICALLY NEEDED. Mental illness untreated or improperly treated is TORTURE from my experience, so don't even try to take her choices away. Let's talk single payer healthcare which provides healthcare, birth control, and consensual sterilization to all who need it. Let's pay employees 15 or more dollars an hour, welfare for the right people is not a dirty word in my book, and prolifers who bomb and torture people, really p me off. Don't even try to pretend you are prolife if you oppose the gun plan Bernie Sanders has, and I am way to the left on guns. Capitalist "prolifers" are so hypocritical, it's not even funny, and they call me unchristian. I am saying this to obey the golden rule. I don't want to be backed into a corner, so I will not do it to others. All I am asking is this twofold request: Make it easier to choose life, and make exceptions. You have no right to impossibly burden women and take hope and last resort choice from them. I have divorced the prolife movement, and ceased hypocrisy! Over, and the out!
lovetoargue

Con

You have conceded that you believe the baby in the womb is a human being even from conception. And if this is true, which I hold it to be to kill the baby would be murder because it is the willful ending of an innocent human life. However, if it just a clump of cells, like a mole or tumor, which is often said by those are pro-abortion, you can do anything you want with it and there is no reason why it should be rare.

From the point of fertilization, all the genetic material or DNA needed for full development is present. If we get to the point where we can read DNA, we could read several things like if the baby is male or female, hair color, ect. Once an egg is fertilized, no genetic material is added. It immediately begins to grow and develop until the baby is fully developed and able to be born.

You brought up a lot of individual cases like rape, abuse, and health of the mother. But these are by far in the minority. The overwhelming majority of cases are because the mother simply doesn't want to be pregnant.

What I have to say about this is evil is not solved by more evil. Since you have conceded that life begins at conception. At least in America, there are plenty of options for a pregnant mother other than abortion. If the mother can"t afford or doesn"t want to keep a rape baby to keep the baby she can put the baby up for adoption and are plenty of charities who are more than willing to help.

If the mortal life of the mother is in danger, the mother should receive the necessary treatment, even if it puts the life of the baby in danger or might cause birth defects because all life is important.

Lastly, I just want to say I"m sorry for the pain you"ve experienced.
Posted by Moreno2 3 years ago
Moreno2
As mentioned below, I dont think anyone here is willing to debate that rape abortions should be legal or any of the ones you picked in your debate, so I dont think anyone will accept the challenge
Posted by HoppoWoppo 3 years ago
HoppoWoppo
Very few people would argue against the legality of abortion in the extreme cases that you have mentioned. As a result there is very little to debate here, as you have stated that you morally oppose abortion
Posted by Thoht 3 years ago
Thoht
When debating a topic it's best to stay on topic and not drag every topic into your single topic.

It's best to separate your ideas into separate paragraphs, and read what you've wrote to see if it looks like a wall of text or if there are too many unnecessary ideas.

As such, I can't take you up on this one.