William4444
ArguingPerson123

Should age limit be lifted from 18 to 21 for voting in the USA?

William4444 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

William4444

Pro

I believe that voting should at least be lifted up to the age 21 because, They are much more intelligent and have a well knowledge of our nations politics than a 18 year old.

I am sorry everyone who is 18, But let"s face it people who are 21 know more stuff about politics than you do. They have been here long enough to know what happens if we choose the left or right party.
ArguingPerson123

Con

I would disagree. I'm not the first person to say this, So don't try throwing that at me. If you are old enough to fight and die for your country, You should be able to vote. In modern times, Thanks to technology, We know a lot more about politics and social problems, And have a wider perspective than we did in the past. There's no real reason to raise the voting age. 18-year olds are adults, They should be able to do what other adults can.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
but remember that you could legally be drafted at age 18, So wouldnt you agree that it is fair to allow people at that age the ability to elect the people who will have drafting over them?
Posted by Devilsadvocate178 3 years ago
Devilsadvocate178
I would certainly agree 21 is a better age for voting. . . Except for military personnel. If you risk taking a bullet for your country you deserve that voting right.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
@Masterful
I would agree, And the same can very well be said about the oldest portions of our population. They are no longer able to think critically and tend to take the things they hear from sources they trust at face value. Though i would not say that their is a "right candidate".
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
Democracy is the best system we have, But still flawed. This is due to voters not being able to elect the right candidate.
Young people are easily persuaded and not as smart as they think. Fresh out of school they are told what to think not how to think critically.

Socrates made a point that voting is a skill. He argued that people want instant gratification and short term results.
Moving the voting age up or down is pointless if people haven't been educated to think critically and taught how to vote.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
It is not legal for illegals to vote, It rarely happens, And when it does it is considered voter fraud. To say that three years makes people more knowledgeable about political issues is just wrong. The only way people will be more knowledgeable about political issues is to become more engaged with the political process. I think this is something that should be done the senior your of high school.
Posted by Debating_Horse 3 years ago
Debating_Horse
So its completely fine to send off a 18 year to fight in wars, To kill, But not to vote? And we can let Illegals vote, Despite them not being CITIZENS of our country?