SipsTea
hamsternap

Should athletes be paid as much as doctors?

SipsTea

Con

I believe that athletes should not be paid the same amount as doctors. Doctors have spent a lot of money and time to be where they are at today. It takes them from 10-15 years after first entering college to earn their degree. Doctors save lives every day and know their practice well. Not only this, But also doctors will always be around. We will always need medical professionals no matter how advanced the world gets.

Athletes; however, Only play some sport that can be easily replaced with something else as time passes. They get paid the same, If not more, Than doctors do and all they do is throw a ball around and score points. Obviously that is not how all sports are played, But as a reference for you all to understand where I am coming from. You do not look to athletes for help, You look at them for entertainment. In which this case is only entertainment for a few hours a day and then they are done.

Doctors spend 12+ hours at work and even when they are off, They are never off the clock. The fact that in today's society, Athletes are more looked up to than doctors saddens me. Doctors are more important and are in more demand than athletes are. Therefore, Doctors should be making way more than athletes. Yes, I feel that athletes should make a lot of money, Because they are the best of the best at what they do, BUT they should not be making as much as doctors. Their work does not even compare to what doctors have to deal with on a day to day basis.
hamsternap

Pro

While I would want Doctors to be paid significantly more than they are now and much more than athletes, From a financial perspective It is required. If major athletes are paid $2 for all the training they put in to ensure the audience gets a good time, They'll stop trying: turn up on the day of an audience and not try. Now the sport is less entertaining, Less people come to watch so the company loses money and cannot support their athletes. People are paid what they're worth. If someone brings in $100, 000 then it's right to pay them a fair percentage of that so that the employee will become more dedicated and bring in more money. If they're paid less then the entire sporting industry falls apart and millions are left without jobs.

I wish Doctors were paid more or athletes less but if we pay them less it would be totally impractical.
SipsTea

Con

I agree with your point, But I don't think that you really understood my point because you basically agreed with what I was saying. I don't believe that athletes should be paid less, I feel they get paid a proper amount. My argument was that doctors should be getting paid more than the athletes do. This being said, Athletes should be paid the same amount as they are now, But doctors should be getting paid more than that.
hamsternap

Pro

OK. But where will we receive the money to pay doctors more? Taxes? I wish that doctors were paid more and I agree with your points but from a financial point, It's practically impossible.
SipsTea

Con

SipsTea forfeited this round.
hamsternap

Pro

I hope you answer my question from last round.
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
The problem is how much money each field generates. Major sports leagues like the NFL, NBA and MLB make hundreds of millions to billions of dollars every season, And that money has to go somewhere. Better it goes to the athletes than the already stupidly rich owners. I don't necessarily like that some athletes get paid as much as they do (Manny Machado getting 300 mil, Really? ) but that's what happens when there's a lot of money to be spent.

The medical field is very lucrative, But they don't make nearly as much as that of major sports leagues, So, Obviously doctors aren't going to be paid nearly as much.

With that being said, The only way that you can fix this is by lowering the payroll of athletes. While you may not want athletes to be paid less, That's the only way you can achieve this.