Anonymous963
drewrushline

Should black people be allowed to use the n word?

Anonymous963

Con

I know many black/African Americans I know use the n word. I do not think that anyone should be able to use this offensive word. And not only do black people use this, But they shame any white person who says it. What I want to know is if black should have everything that whites have, Which they should, Why should white people not have everything blacks have? I welcome anyone to say why there should be black-only things, But no white-only things. To clarify, I don't think whites should have any more rights then blacks. I actually think that everyone should be equal. I just don't see how blacks want everyone to be equal, But they also think only they can say the n word. Thank you and I would love to see some of your opinions.
drewrushline

Pro

I think the biggest flaw with your premise here is that because words can be intrinsically immoral, People should feel obliged not to say them. My question for you is: how can you STOP people from saying the n-word if they so choose? The African-American community like to intimidate people of other races into not saying it, And I understand your point that "black words" and "gay words" have become the cultural norm as those who belong to those respected groups have reclaimed the slurs that once haunted them. My take is that either all slurs are okay or none of them are. By the sounds of it, You would err on the side of no slurs being okay. This is problematic because not everyone has the same moral compass, And unless an entire community fear-mongers the rest of the world into not saying a specific word, The only way to mitigate the use of such language would be straight up censorship. So, You tell me: hat is the most practical way to halt the use of the n-word? If interracial equality of opportunity is truly your main goal, Then you would admit that there isn"t a practical way to do it, And that freedom of speech is more important than the protection of another person"s feelings. Yes, The n-word is offensive and rooted in a deep, Dark history of inhumane treatment. But look at the issue more logically: is it better to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks, Or to try and talk some reason and basic free-speech principles into the black community?
Anonymous963

Con

Anonymous963 forfeited this round.
drewrushline

Pro

drewrushline forfeited this round.
Anonymous963

Con

Anonymous963 forfeited this round.
drewrushline

Pro

drewrushline forfeited this round.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
It is free speech and offence is taken not given. That is why black people are offended when white people say it and not an other black person. You need to be raciest to be offended.
Posted by mall 3 years ago
mall
So this is not a debate. This is about wanting to share opinions on equality and restricting freedom of speech based on dropping the use of one word. Is that the size of it?