FLYINGDOG02
RMTheSupreme

Should bullies be punished sending them to prison or riformatory

FLYINGDOG02

Pro

Nowadays schools punish bullies suspending them and sometimes talking with their parents. I think that this is not good enough, because most bullies hate school and don't listen to their parents or the teachers. Let's send them to jail and make their parents pay compensation for what they've done
RMTheSupreme

Con

The issue with this is less about the extent of punishment (which is an issue) and much more with what's being punished.

When we extend the law (or amend the law, I'm not sure which is happening here as it was unclear the legal technicalities) we must be very exact with what constitutes bullying as opposed to simple teasing.

Where do you draw the line between someone taking their frustrations out on someone in a way where a simple 'sorry' is acceptable or where someone is teasing in a semi-sadistic way that's simply to be considered playful and bullying which is to be legally punishable.

I also want to ask about to what degree and even if it's case-by-case, the methodology that the parents end up blamed for the matter but the bigger issue is with where we draw the line on what is legally punishable bullying that can give someone a criminal record and what is 'okay semi-bullying that a sorry will solve'.

I will guide my opponent a bit here as I want to genuinely help this debate be fair and don't want them to lose because they couldn't come up with exact measurements. There should certainly be four elements to it:

1) Frequency of offense (especially if against the same victim/s)
2) Severity of offences in terms of long-term harm as well as short-term damage to the phsiological and psychological well-being of the victim.
3) Perhaps a more extensively recorded punishment system prior to legal punishment and signs that the individual is not rehabilitating their bullying?
4) In cases of gang bullying, the extent of leadership and self-agency that the bully played in the acts.

Now that I have given the four elements I believe it should be measured by, I ask my opponent to explain how we could find the exact lines where we find the perpetrator in need of severe retribution to the extent of forced bootcamp treatment as well as a criminal record.

I also ask one more thing. Should childhood bullies be sooner prosecuted for adult 'bullying' and should bullying include encounters outside of work and/or school such as the Internet?
FLYINGDOG02

Pro

the problem of simple-teasing is that can become bullying, en fact if you tease someone, this can bother him, this person doesn't want you to continue teasing him, but you don't stop because you think that it's funny for you. Obviously I mean two people who are classmates,co-workers... and not brothers,because it's normal to tease your brother. Prior to reformatory or prison,there must be some points where you,a bully, can stop bullying a person in order not to go to those places. At first you'll receive a warning, then you must go to the house arrest and, in the end you go to the reformatory/prison. If you continue doing it after been already there, you or your parents, it depends on your age, must pay compensation and go another time there for a longer time until you learn the lesson. These are the points if you are a bully at work or in Internet. If you're a bully in a school, the teachers or the parents can call the police if you have got a lot of bad marks for your bad behaviour towards the same person. Then happens what I've explained before, This is for gang bullying too. You can't draw a line because they're linked
RMTheSupreme

Con

You have explained why bullying is a thing worth punishing and fighting. You have no explained why prison, a criminal record and forced rehab should all three be part of the punishment to bullying nor what specifically connotates the difference between a bully and what you view as a legally acceptable mean person.
FLYINGDOG02

Pro

a bully continues to tease you even if you don't want it, a legallyacceptable mean person would stop if you ask him to do it.
We need prison because bullies continue to exist, so our punishment aren't enough,we should use reformatory
RMTheSupreme

Con

If you criticize or say something taunting but true to someone twice you should immediatley be imprisoned and forcibly reformed?

I do not support this system and you have not defended it.
Posted by RMTheSupreme 3 years ago
RMTheSupreme
I know the feeling ;)
Posted by FLYINGDOG02 3 years ago
FLYINGDOG02
I'll post the argument I need to think
Posted by RMTheSupreme 3 years ago
RMTheSupreme
I'll post my arguments later on, need time to think.