smilinbobs64
juliahannegan

Should euthanasia be legal

smilinbobs64

Pro

Euthanasia should be legal for anyone who no longer desires to live, and to families where a family member is unable to choose death due to a lack of comprehension that they are even alive. Why is it humane to euthanize a pet that is suffering yet humans are required by law to suffer til they die.
juliahannegan

Con

In your argument you are suggesting assisted suicide. By your opening sentence " Euthanasia should be legal for anyone who no longer desires to live..." According to afsp.org 494,169 people visit the hospital a year for self harm and suicide attempts. By allowing people to have the option to euthanize themselves you are giving them an easy way out. When people are rendered incapable of taking care of themselves they are given a proxy, a family member or friend, that is able to chose what happens to them.
smilinbobs64

Pro

There is no good reason that suicide should not be legal. If a person no longer wishes to live that is their right. Why should you or someone else keep them from taking "the easy way out" as you have stated? No one else should have dominion over another person"s life unless the person is mentally impaired to a point that they haven"t the ability to convey a desire to live. (vegetative state). I work in a nursing home where people beg for death when they are suffering yet they are not permitted to die until their body is too damaged to continue. It is sad and diminishes their dignity. You claim they should not have an easy way out, Why NOT??
juliahannegan

Con

In the case you allow nurses or doctors to euthanize humans opens up a whole new door of liability. There have been more than a few medical malpractice suits over the years where a nurse or doctor gave the patient to many drugs so they would overdose. Why some patients may be happy with this seeing as they are ready to go, what about the ones who were wrongfully executed? Also, what about all the teenagers that are depressed or suicidal. While sometimes its just a phase that they will grow out of other times it is serious and require treatment. Should a 16 year old girl be able to walk into a hospital and sign away her life because she had a bad day at school?
smilinbobs64

Pro

Like anything else there would be some legal safeguards for both ends of the event. If you wanted to have the job done professionally in an assisted method there would be a legal contract. As for youths no contract can be legal until the participant is at least 18 yrs of age. As for having a bad day not many people seriously consider suicide due to a bad day,week or what ever. Most people who seriously consider suicide have suffered for an extended amount of time and have reached a point where they just don't want to suffer anymore or feel that there is no other answer. I think for healthy people there should be a psychological evaluation prior to the legal documentation to have your life ended in an assisted way. I know the suicide of healthy people is morally tough to accept, still is should be that person's right. Just before Christmas I lost a cousin to suicide she suffered from depression for many years. It saddens me that she felt the way she did but on the other hand she ended her suffering which plagued her for years. It's bitter sweet.
juliahannegan

Con

Even at the age of 18 kids do not have the life experience to know that things get better. If a person no longer wants to live they should seek therapy, counselling, and most likely be put on medication. Depression is a disorder, a chemical imbalance in the brain. Anti-depressants work to gradually increase serotonin and dopamine levels which pulls you out of depression. The assisted suicide of healthy people is not "morally hard to accept" how could it be when it goes against morals? By allowing assisted suicide to be legal the entire mental health work force would change. People already seeking therapy could then be told things like "We're in our fourth session now and I haven't noticed any changes I'm allowing you to kill yourself, thanks for trying." If people have a way out, why would they try to make themselves better?
smilinbobs64

Pro

You are correct that 18 year olds have no idea that life changes a great deal as people age but for some they will continue to feel the same way until such a time as they do succeed in killing themselves. There may be other outcomes and as I had previously stated a psychological evaluation should be done and if the people conducting the evaluation are good at understanding people and psychology they would be able to talk the person out of the desire to die if there is a good chance that the person is going to have a life worth living. In reality the people I've known who hated life either eventually killed themselves of are unhappy drug addicted humans. No matter what the reason people should have the right to choose even if that choice is death. It is morally wrong to think that others should be able to legally require a person to live. People should not be required to "try to make themselves better" as you say. Iife, should be their choice not their requirement.
As for depression, you are correct that in some cases medication is a solution. It is my experience that the medications are only a temporary solution. The people that I have known with depression go up and down and have to change medications and dosages on a regular basis. Many of these people resort to alcohol and drugs as a form of self medication. Many of these people will eventually after years of suffering kill themselves anyway. That is exactly what happened with my cousin. She was financially successful and intelligent people loved her yet for decades she suffered: many medications,she had trouble maintaining romantic relationships ,no children, would times distance herself from family. Finally she took a bottle of pills with a large volume of alcohol and died it was her choice.
juliahannegan

Con

By saying "they will continue to feel the same way until such a time as the do succeed in killing themselves." you are assuming that everyone who is depressed is also suicidal. Also saying that psychologists will evaluate the person to see if they have "life worth living" is disgusting. Everyone on the planet is here for a reason, and has a purpose. You're right people kill themselves if they want, that is not your argument. Nobody can make a healthy teenager live. I am arguing that we shouldn't give them the option of assisted suicide. I'm not saying people are required to make themselves better., but of people are depressed they should seek help to feel better, not help to die.
As for medications, people are lucky to find the right medication the first time. It often takes several tries before the perfect one comes along, it took me three. You have no factual evidence that many people "resort to alcohol and drugs as a form of self medication." while it is true that some people do give up, "most" is an exaggeration. Sometimes treatment should be a mixture of verbal therapy and medication, sometimes one or the other. Everyone on the planet was born for a reason, the goal is to find it.
Posted by smilinbobs64 10 months ago
smilinbobs64
I had no chance to offer evidence for your comment on the self medication comment I made but here is some info on the subject, 2014 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) stated that about 7.9 million adults in the United States had two simultaneous mental health issues, such as a substance use disorder and depression, in 2014 alone, I would claim that 7.9 million is many. Here is another article on the subject, http://www.dualdiagnosis.org...
Posted by canis 10 months ago
canis
It is legal..If you do not have the money...