lasya
Kvng_8

Should every children wear school uniforms at every school

lasya

lasya

Con

Should we wear uniforms? As a student myself I can say from experience I don't see the point in uniforms. As children our forms of expression based upon personalities are limited, So the way we dress and carry ourselves reflect who we are as a person and if wearing a uniform would generalize us then it should not happen. As for bulling it will still happen. Bulling is not the reflection of the bullied but the bully. Generalizing clothes will not help, And many still will find work around. Shortening skirts, Fancy accessories, Etc. Such uniforms do nothing but add extra burden and financial if not time consuming weight upon a student and family
Kvng_8

Pro

Should we wear uniforms?
Yes.

Why wear uniforms? What's the point?
It teaches you the way of life and to follow the rules, Even though it may suck and it may be something that you don't want to do, That's life. Let's be real here, Who enjoys uniforms? They are annoying -- it just teaches you to follow rules. When you start a job and you're working, You can't wear anything you want. You must wear your work clothes that are assigned from your boss. In the long run, It's more of a good thing than a burden. Another thing is students can be easily identified which will increase their safety.

Bullying.
Bullying occurs whether students are wearing uniforms or not, But uniforms can reduce bullying. By students wearing the same generalizing clothes, It will help. Of course it won't help the bullying entirely but most likely, They will not make fun of your clothes since they are wearing the same thing.

Style.
You can make uniforms look good, I. E many accessories, Watches, Good looking shoes and things of that nature. Every person has their own unique sense of style. Uniforms may limit it, But it's good to make the most out of it so you don't feel unfree.

Solution.
The good thing is once you reach high school + college, You won't have to wear uniforms. You can wear whatever you want and express yourself much better and be more comfortable.
lasya

Con

while I do find some of your points valid, Here my rebuttals for some I disagree with:

==Style

Students who are in a district with a strict uniform policy lose their ability to express their individuality through fashion. In some regards, School uniforms teach students that it is more important to think and act like a group instead of thinking and acting like an individual. Although there are many influences that can shape mob thinking patterns, This type of policy can be a foundational element of it if the uniform policies are not carefully introduced and monitored. Some accessories for girls are considered inappropriate. And as genders increase, Uniforms get complicated and it seems much easier to be able to get your our choice upon stuff.

==Why wear uniforms? What's the point?

In our life, We will be faced with millions of choices, But how will we face THOSE, If we still have our clothes chosen for us. We need to learn our independence before learning our restrictions. There are 4/10 chances that groups of students will get in a risky situation in school hours. While no "what ifs" should be taken and student safety Is outmost of many concern, There are other ways, Some which may even be better.

==bullying
"Bullying occurs whether students wear uniforms or not. The root cause of bullying should be addressed. Teens should be able to develop self-expression and their personal identity. . . . Today's school uniforms seem more a punitive measure meant to deny students their right to freedom of expression" -The Internet

==Solution
As a 7th grader in a private school, The high schoolers who go there DO HAVE TO WEAR UNIFORMS. It is not a concern of whether if it gets better or not, I should not have to get better.
Kvng_8

Pro

Style.
"Some accessories for girls are considered inappropriate. " - Would you like to list some examples? I knew a girl that always stayed fresh at school even with uniforms. Bracelets, Necklaces, Earrings, Things of that nature. I never heard of a school that somehow restricts accessories (boy or girl) I assume we are from completely different parts of the world. Are you not allowed to wear a scarf?

Why wear uniforms?
Reiterating point: All comes down to following the rules and teaches you lessons. Pros for uniforms:
1. School uniforms keep students focused on their education, Not their clothes.
2. Uniforms create a level playing field among students, Reducing peer pressure and bullying.
3. Wearing uniforms can enhance school pride, Unity, And community spirit.
4. Uniforms make getting ready for school easier, Which can improve punctuality.
5. Students dressed in uniform are better perceived by teachers and peers.

Bullying.
I agree with your point on this. There should be a bullying debate on here, That would be interesting.

Solution.
So you're in a private school I see now. Understood. The high schoolers where you are wear uniforms? Yeah I think we are from completely different places now.

"It is not a concern of whether if it gets better or not, I should not have to get better. "
It all comes down to stages in life. Yeah during elementary to middle school your freedom may feel limited and it's really strict but as you get older (high school+college) you gain more freedom, Regarding what you wear and the expectations from teachers and professors since they expect different from you as you are older and put you more in a higher standard. Not discrediting younger people who are middle schoolers because I know many such as yourself are very sharp but unfortunately this uniform thing is just so prevalent and hard to control. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches. At the same time, I see where you're coming from.
lasya

Con

I do think you make good points.

== School uniforms keep students focused on their education, Not their clothes.
But in the end, Like I said many will find loopholes. Shorter skirts, Fancier accessories, Etc. It still seems as much 'distracting' as normal, Casual clothes do.

== Uniforms create a level playing field among students, Reducing peer pressure and bullying. As I stated earlier, The main reason for bullying is not because of the bullied because of the 'builler'. But, Yes I do see that many will not just see it that way, But as I said, There will be loopholes. As for finances, The cost of uniforms is pretty high considering most school I have seen. Although your debate about bullying does sound compelling.

==Regarding what you wear and the expectations from teachers and professors since they expect different from you as you are older and put you more in a higher standard.

I think you make a great point. But the earlier we teach certain skills and virtues, The more mature and responsible we become as we get older.
Kvng_8

Pro

I agree with you too. I'm indifferent. I have no other responses. We could disregard R4 if you want.

Thanks for this fun debate!
lasya

Con

It was really enjoyable debating with you.
Kvng_8

Pro

Thanks, You too
Posted by MyBatteryIsLow 3 years ago
MyBatteryIsLow
I agree with the Pro. They used more points than the Con.

(Great debate, You two! )
Posted by teacherjan 3 years ago
teacherjan
I am a teacher in a school where we had uniforms for the past 6 years. We hired a new superintendent and she decided to forgo the uniforms. Before the change our school was more united than it is without uniforms, Kids actually say they miss the uniforms, And the bullying over what clothes you are wearing has increased. We have uniforms in almost every job these kids will work in and wearing uniforms in school teaches our children of the future so much. Compliance to rules teaches we can be unified with each other, Acceptance. Uniforms are a must. The students can still make them their own and have a personality, You would be amazed.
Vote Placed by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
lasyaKvng_8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded which means Con gave convincing enough arguments to win.