Percivil
Darckshado99

Should guns be banned?

Percivil

Pro

Hi, I am percivil and I believe that guns should be banned. This first round for me is a round of acceptance for myself. Con may start wif his/her argument first. I look forward to this debate, All the best to my opponent:)
Darckshado99

Con

As much as I personally dislike guns, The complete removal of guns from a ban would ultimately be fruitless. Just ask the prohibition. The only way to reduce demand is to put in place checks when getting guns. Getting a gun should be as difficult as getting your license because in the right hands guns and cars are valuable pieces of our society as a whole and it would be difficult to function currently if we removed them but no-one would deny the killing power of either of these machines. As Americans we need to look at the facts, And not just say that mentally ill people are the ones doing these things because they are not, As a mentally deficient person who has social autism I was very interested in learning the actual stats and in reality we are much more likely to be the victims of such attacks than the perpetrators. The Best thing we could do would be to ultimately put in place enough blocks that those who impulse buy guns and those who just in a moment of anger or depression get a gun lose the motivation that they had originally while at the same time making sure those who would never harm another human in anything but self defense have them as well.
Percivil

Pro

Argument 1:
How many times have you turned on the morning news and saw reports of gun violence in mostly america? And why do you think that gun violence happened in america? It was legalized! Thats why! So why don't you wake up and see how many bad things have happened when we allowed guns:
2018:http://www. Gunviolencearchive. Org. . .
2017:https://www. Google. Com. Sg. . .

And the years before:http://www. Gunviolencearchive. Org. . .

This pretty much shows that guns are not a valuable resouce to society, But instead a burden to society that needs to be removed.

Rebuttals:

"Getting a gun should be as difficult as getting your license because in the right hands guns and cars are valuable pieces of our society as a whole and it would be difficult to function currently if we removed them but no-one would deny the killing power of either of these machines. " I. . . . I don't see how guns are valuable to society if they kill. . . You just said we can't deny the killing power of guns.

"The Best thing we could do would be to ultimately put in place enough blocks that those who impulse buy guns and those who just in a moment of anger or depression get a gun. . . " Im gonna stop you right there. There is no evidence that only people who fall into depression or something immediately falls into getting guns. Take terrorists groups such as ISIS as an example. They aren't exactly angry or depressed, They are just extremists and kill people because of something in their religion. So your point is pretty much false.

". . . Making sure those who would never harm another human in anything but self defense have them as well. " And how exactly do you make sure? You can't can you? Even with background checks, A person can change.
Darckshado99

Con

Personally I don't watch TV so I never turned on the morning news to see news about gun violence. Even so I decided to wake up and why not, Ill go ahead and bring you with me.

As far as so much gun violence occurring I believe you might want to double check your facts as at most, Out of 100, 000 people 13 people in Louisiana committed murders, And the lowest in New Hampshire of 2 in 100, 000. In total the Current average is 6 in 100, 000. The following Link will not just show the previous 4 years but also all the way back until 1970 and from that info you can see that the current murder rate is actually low per capita. In 1990, The Murder rate was nearly Double the current rate.
https://deathpenaltyinfo. Org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state#nat1970

Yes we can't deny that guns are meant to kill, Or at least main and ultimately we can't deny that sometimes that is necessary. Ask any cop (one of which I'll link you to after this paragraph) and they'll tell you that sometimes people are just able to ignore pepper spray, Tasers and batons. If we banned guns then police would be unable to stop those who hold hostages or those who simply ignore non-lethal means. If you meant that the common person should be unable to get guns but the police should still have them, Then 1 they could simply become an officer and get the gun that way, Which would be the equivalent of the checks that we could place instead. Even ignoring that there is already a divide between people and the cops with mass distrust between the two and the inclusion of a deadly weapon that only cops can have and that people have no protection against at all would escalate it. In truth its very unlikely that any people who distrust cops and have guns would go and shoot a cop, But the very feeling of having it gives a feeling of "evening the playing field". Above you'll find a cop who will show the positives and negatives of non-lethal
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=8tIsoEMNjSg

You are taking what I said out of context as far as depression. When I spoke it was simply a way to explain that there are those that enough security can dissuade them from attempting the insane things they think of. Currently I'm sure you can think of someone you probably would have no problem injuring, But you know that the laws in place would cause that to be not a worthwhile venture. You can deny it but if tomorrow all laws were no longer in place that would lead to a quick rise in violence since the main deterrent has become null. Society pressure can only do so much. As for terrorist groups like Isis, They are a far smaller portion of crimes than the American people. I like to keep up with the news and the last big terrorist activity was September 11th, And in the mean time how many mass shootings have occurred? How many people have died since the last time Isis attacked the US? We are our own worst enemy and we must look internally before we start trying to control the gun use of those outside the U. S. Also, " They are just extremists and kill people because of something in their religion. So your point is pretty much false. " By your own words you say that extremists kill people because of their religion and as I previously stated, While this does happen, Its the minority of crime. Most are done in sever anger and desperation. Just ask the Australians who did a study into the reasons for homicide and Most of them come down to a disagreement gone very very wrong.
https://aic. Gov. Au/publications/cfi/cfi110

A person can change, Yes but your average American won't wake up tomorrow and turn into Jeffrey dahmer. If you de-stigmatize talking with therapists or at the very least family and friends and do Yearly checks to verify the person is in a good mental standing you will will vastly lower homicide rates of the 6 without injuring the very rights that this country was built upon.

Now if we can continue the civil tone that we had during round 1 and talk to each other knowing that we are both human beings who are simply trying to discuss a topic civilly and both give our opinions to the question asked, That would be much appreciated. I await your reply and wish you the best
Percivil

Pro

Percivil forfeited this round.
Darckshado99

Con

Darckshado99 forfeited this round.
Percivil

Pro

Percivil forfeited this round.
Darckshado99

Con

Darckshado99 forfeited this round.
Percivil

Pro

Percivil forfeited this round.
Darckshado99

Con

Darckshado99 forfeited this round.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
guns should be regulated much more strictly, To ban them completely would be pointless. For the record prohibition did work quite well alcohol consumption was cut in half as were diseases and maladies associated with consumption, Even as a half hearted effort prohibition did significantly what it intended reduce the problems associated with alcohol
Posted by Percivil 3 years ago
Percivil
Sorry if I don't post my arguments as fast as Im writing a symphony at the moment(no kidding) so yea just don't mind me
Posted by Evan_Hermes 3 years ago
Evan_Hermes
there is no evidence to back the claim that banning guns would do anything. It's one of the most illogical arguments from the left.