YeshuaBought
Jonotono

Should it be legal to use the Bible for any reason, or is it hate speech?

YeshuaBought

Pro

I am pro Bible, and want to defend it against the liberal atheists who are launching attacks on religious liberty across the nation. Somne liberals are saying the Bible is hate speech. I bear half of the burden of proof, and will cite this as a First Amendment issue. Jesus loves sinners to the point of torture and death, and accurately predicted that those who are not Christian or Messianic Jews would hate Jesus and His Christian.
Jonotono

Con

First of all this resolution is abusive and biased towards the Pro, as it is "McCarthying" me, forcing me to argue that directly the Con will always argue that it is hate speech. This means that Pro will always have an unfair advantage, and this should be considered in the reason for decision. Furthermore, the Pro directly attacks Con with ad hominem; attacking the person, not the position taken, which is poor form and if it continues it should be a voting issue. To address the Pro, the Bible is focused around interpretation, as a result I will need a specific denomination of the religion being used.
I look forward to Pro's opening arguments.
YeshuaBought

Pro

Make your own debate if you don't like my style, and no it isn't. I have heard the Bible and Christian stuff called hate speech, and clearly presented two options. Some people, are against the Bible and want to ban it. I am a centrist Democrat, so save the conservative card for another deck. Biased? Hmm. Interesting. My debate, my rules. I am pro Bible for many reasons. It has always interested me, it gives me hope, it offers Jesus as the loving Goid I need. It inspires me to be a better person. The use of the Bible is a freedom of religion, and speech issue. We ought to obey God rather than man. If the Bible were banned today, I would peacefully break the law to avoid handing over my Bible. I also support other religious adherent's right to their books as a free speech issue. My life, my choice, I have the right to say and read whatever I wish, and so do you. How would you feel if the government banned certain books to cheeze people off? If you don't like the Bible, don't own one. But don't lobby against my First Amendment rights. The choice of what book to read is a free speech and thought issue, and I heard SOME atheists want to ban the Bible. Just some. NOT ALL.
Jonotono

Con

Thank you for continuing the round. I can tell you are very vocal about this issue, and that you hold your first amendment right close to you, let's try to be civil about it. Firstly, you dropped my second argument, you continue to bring politics into it, when no where in my Challenge response did I call you Conservative. My whole challenge response is to clarify the poorly worded resolution, which is a question; look at the beginner forum for this page, it clearly says to NOT post the resolution as a question, so actually, I'm playing by the rules of the site. Furthermore, as you have no clarified what bible version you are using, I will. We will be both the Old and New Testament. Anything that you bring up in further rounds that is NOT from the general sourced bibles should be thrown out, as it is abusive for Pro to try to redefine when they failed to do so in the first round. Now, I'm going to respond to a few of your arguments.

1) "The use of the bible is a freedom of religion, and speech issue. We ought to obey God rather than man.
Response: By using your logic, then by obeying God, above man and its rules, it is simply not an issue of religion and speech, protected by MAN'S laws, not God's.
2) "But don't lobby against my First Amendment rights."
Response: Let's define "Hate Speech". Abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation. Therefore it applies to the bible, if you were to use the bible, quoting lines, directing a comment at an individual, or a group, it is considered hate speech, regardless of the first amendment protection, which was ruled by Brandenburg v. Ohio; The Court held that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action. A prime example? The Westboro Baptist Church, an organization that continues to spew hatred and quoting the bible. Let's take a look.

"Furthermore, God specifically says that He ABHORS people who engage in sodomy (as well as other forms of sexual perversion): "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them...And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them." Leviticus 20:13,23."

This is off of their page, I certainly think this speech, this syntax taken FROM the Bible, is most definitely abusive and threatening, expressive prejudice against a particular group, specifically sexual orientation.

Now, I will introduce a few more quotes, quotes FROM the Bible, that fall under the definition of hate speech.
Deuteronomy 32:
41 If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.
42 I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.
43 Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people.
"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of." II Peter 2:1,2
These are clear examples of hate speech from the Bible. Since your resolution asks if the usage of the Bible is legal or is it hate speech, means that I only have to prove it contains hate speech, and the evidence I have provided suggests it does.
I look forward to Pro's response.
YeshuaBought

Pro

I'm a type A debater. I'm not angry, just bringing up a thought. There may be nothing to this, but I want to opinion. This should be a does the government have the right to ban any religious books debate, not just a Bible debate. I am not at all angry or cheezed off at anyone right now, I am passionate. Don't mistake my passion for anger or hate. I love you. I love both of our right to choose what books to read and use. I also want to protect the Muslim Quran and various Hindu books. Even a Satanist has the right to their book. My debates tend to evolve, sorry. I am libertarian on the First Amendment. :D <3
Jonotono

Con

Thank you for the heartfelt response, onto the round at hand. Pro drops all of my arguments, should be carried through to the next round.
YeshuaBought

Pro

Yes or no: Should it be legal to use the Bible? I say yes, and have demonstrated why.
Jonotono

Con

The resolution is worded strictly as "Should it be legal to use the Bible for any reason, or is it hate speech?" I have proven that it does contain hate speech, that No, it should not be legal for ANY REASON and expressed why it is a voting issue. Thank you Pro for this debate