SNOWMASS
ComradeAlexander

Should laptops be allowed in classrooms?

SNOWMASS has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

SNOWMASS

Con

Should laptops be allowed in classrooms? I strongly say no because of these few points
-laptops are expensive.. so many parents cannot get laptops for their children for school so due to that many children would not be in school because of this new and expensive technology
-battery low problem.. if your laptop gets out of battery and you didn't bring your own charger your educational journey of that day stops on that moment
-illegal websites .. illegal websites are covering the Internet so having a child with his own laptop would be a big problem. Not only illegal websites but also violent movies and games that can take a big role in his life
ComradeAlexander

Pro

Quite simply, I believe that the school system should be investing in technology in order to get children used to working with technology. Its the schools responsibility to look after education, but if they did get computers it would make the education system much more efficient and realistic. Also if the computers belonged to the school then it would be very easy to simply block access to unsuitable sites while at school. The system I would propose would be that the school buys and owns the computer, and the children pick them up at the start of the day and return them at break, lunch (to prevent damage to them), and then return them at the end of the day. A system could also be put in place where students can apply to take laptops home to carry on working, however after school clubs could also accomplish this. What are your thoughts on this idea?
Posted by vlw 3 years ago
vlw
Having a laptop in school is a significant financial burden for a school district. While I believe that most students have internet at home, Not all have consistent internet service.
Posted by 101BlackCat 3 years ago
101BlackCat
Umm....my old primary school has laptops...
Posted by pali1 3 years ago
pali1
also we bring our laptops home for homework so, at night we charge them so, during the day they hardly get battery low
Posted by pali1 3 years ago
pali1
also in my school they have extra laptops but, if you keep on having your battery low like 3 times in a row then you get detention.
Posted by pali1 3 years ago
pali1
also our laptops restrict a few web pages that are bad like u said
Posted by pali1 3 years ago
pali1
we don't buy the school laptops they provide it for us
Posted by DebatingGuy 3 years ago
DebatingGuy
Laptops can become a distraction though if they have games on them. They are so entertaining.
Posted by DebatingGuy 3 years ago
DebatingGuy
I think laptops should be allowed in classrooms if it's okay with the teachers because it's a useful educational tool. Many college classes already allow laptops in classrooms.