Sandra123
watziznehm

Should learning the irish language be voluntary?

watziznehm has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Sandra123

Pro

In ireland, The irish language is a mandatory subject. It is not spoken by many as english is our first language and the only reason we learn it is for cultural reasons and for reasons i am certain does not exist. I think this should change. Irish should be voluntary. If you force someone to do something, They aren't going to do as well on the contrary if they chose it themselves. I am starting this debate because i want to change this as i have a burning hatred towards learning irish and i do not want to continue learning this for another 4 years as it certainly ruins my view of the other subjects and i get pissed off even just thinking about it.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
I agree. How is culture (in this context) even important? I think they could get students to learn 2nd languages that can actually help them and have it be only optional for people. Keeping the Irish language alive is too expensive.