coolm
AlphaFSPG107

Should more kids play baseball at a young age?

coolm has forfeited round #3.
Started: 4/4/2017 Category: Sports
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

coolm

Pro

I think more kids should play baseball at a young age because, It can help with, baseball can also help build strength, and baseball can help kids learn to work as a team.
AlphaFSPG107

Con

My argument is that other sports can be good alternatives and that kids should only play sports if they want to. Since the character limit is so small I'll briefly touch on two points.

1) Other sports like basketball and soccer can also teach teamwork and due to the more active nature it could be argued more physical benefits are able to be obtained.

2) Second, and most important, a young child should only baseball, or any sport for that matter, if he/she wants to. It is described in a Huffington Post article how kids forced into sports feel "ongoing feelings of anxiety, stress and inadequacy" due to their parents. (1) Ultimately, if a child wants to play, they likely are already. More kids playing implies they don't have an interest.
coolm

Pro

We should! It is fun!
AlphaFSPG107

Con

Yes, it is fun but if these hypothetical kids don't find it fun then what's the point? Kids can gain strength and learn teamwork from things other than baseball. My other arguments stand that kids should only play baseball if they want to.
Posted by mplo 1 year ago
mplo
I don't think that kids under 14 years of age should play baseball, because their growth lines aren't closed completely until they reach the age of 14. Letting kids under 14 play baseball is setting up for being at risk for permanent damage to joints due to not yet being developed enough.