iamalwaysright1
AKMath

Should most schools require uniforms?

iamalwaysright1 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

iamalwaysright1

Pro

My argument is for school uniforms. Before anyone freaks out, Let me explain. School uniforms can help you with bullying. Last year, I got bullied because I didn't wear name brand clothes. That won't happen with uniforms. Also, It would make the dress code a little bit easier. Most schools have a pretty hard dress code, For girls especially. A uniform would make it easier to pick out an outfit. You might even get more sleep because you don't have to pick out an outfit. Those who disagree may say that you can't express your self, But that's not true because you still have hair, Shoes, Nails, Face, Jewelry, And accessories to identify your self and make a statement. Once you hear all this, Do you still want to wear the same old clothes to school?
AKMath

Con

I don't think most schools should require a uniform because:
1. A uniform doesn't show your individuality.

2. It's expensive. Uniform tops cost $26. 99, Uniforms bottoms cost $34. 99 or $44. 99, Pullovers cost $39. 99 and vest cost $35. 99. That is just for an elementary school. For example, Kids are sometimes careless with their clothes. If they get them stained or dirty then their parents have to spend more money on uniforms. I had to wear a uniform for two years until my private school closed (I then went to public school), But I got my uniform stained and I grew out of them a couple of times a year so my mom and dad had to go out and buy new ones.

3. Look your argument has little truth. I'm a lawyer and always wear a three-piece suit to work. When I see other co-workers I don't judge them on their cufflinks, Tie bar, Pocket square, Buttonaire, Watch, Collar pin, Neckwear, Etc. I judge them on the actual suit, Not the accessories.

4. It's uncomfortable for little kids to wear a button down shirt and tie in 1st and 2nd grade (my two years and my uniform).

My last point will destroy, Shred, Obliterate, Etc. Your argument as it directly ties to YOU.
If you thought that requiring all students to wear uniforms can lessen the chances of bullying, You are dead wrong! In fact, It can actually increase the incidence of bullying, Especially in school districts where violence rates are soaring.
A 1999 study conducted by experts from Texas Southern University showed that bullying incidents increased by as much as 12%, After the implementation of mandatory uniform wearing.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
The reasoning behind your argument doesn't hold up very well. I know this from experience because i attended both private and public schools. While it is true that students do get bullied because they can't afford name brand clothing, It does not mean that a school uniform will resolve this issue. The uniforms we had at my private school were polos & button up shirts that were solid and in the school colors, Slacks, Khakis, And black dress shoes. The richer students would wear new name brand attire while the less fortunate students would were cheaper or hand-me-down clothes. Even if you were to make the uniforms required for sale directly from the school in an effort to exclude name brand clothing, There would still be a number of ways to differentiate which students came from families that were, Financially, Better off. As for helping student be ready for school, This just comes down to time management. If a students isn't prepared for getting to school on time without a uniform policy, They won't suddenly be more prepared just because you have limited their clothing options.