Nolee.L
passwordstipulationssuck

Should our Young ones Play Sports?

Nolee.L has forfeited round #2.
Started: 2/26/2018 Category: Sports
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Nolee.L

Con

" Children do not need to Play Competitive Sports!"
Playing around with friends is fun, right? What about playing with teammates? Even more fun, right? Has playing a sport ever made you feel energized or confident? Or maybe stressed and pressured? Recent studies show that playing competitive sports are bringing our children more harm than good. Thus, I believe that competitive sports are not suitable for kids. Others may say that competitive sports are necessary for the development of the child, but that development is slowed down from the many injuries children may suffer. All in All, children should not play competitive sports because children can be pressurized which causes stress, children can fall fate to injuries and sometimes children don"t have time to be kids anymore.
Competitive sports are harmful to children because kids can easily become stressed. As we know, after a while, parents can pressure their children to do their best and set high expectations for them. With all these expectations piling up from family members, and sometimes even friends, they can experience the "pressure to be the best." The can cause young athletes to begin feeling exhausted which causes them to "be at risk for emotional burnout." This shows why children should not play competitive sports.
Another reason why kids shouldn"t play competitive sports is because they can suffer long-lasting injuries. For example, if you play football, concussions can become a bigger risk. Hitting your head too many times can cause mental illnesses like CTE and Alzheimer's. Now, with any other sport, getting hurt too much can cause "overuse and acute trauma which used to only occur in adults." Do we want our children to get sicker? If not, this proves why children don"t need to play competitive sports.
Finally, children should be prohibited from playing competitive sports because kids just need to be kids. As said before, children may get stressed from having to "be the best" all the time. This can result in "intense training schedules" which may not allow them to have free time anymore. Between school and sports, many young athletes "may sacrificed other interests and give up most downtime that allows them to just be a kid." This demonstrates why competitive sports are not for children.
Some people argue that sports are an essential part of a child growing up. They learn how to take a win or lose or how to interact with teammates effectively which will be most important during the child"s adult life. Competitive sports teach children how to work through challenges and fears which is very necessary for "preparing people not only for the next game, but for much broader roles in life."But children can learn these essential skills at school or a home in a calmer environment with a less violent approach.
In conclusion, this has shown the sports are not safe for children and that parents can take a better approach for teaching their child important life skills. Competitive sports cause stress, injuries, and less time to be a kid. If I ever have a child, I"ll make sure to keep him/her away from sports.
passwordstipulationssuck

Pro

I will first build my case for competitive sports then I will pick apart my opponents case.

1. Competition drives us to learn at a faster rate and perform at a higher level. When the meet is on the horizon, we work harder and faster. When we are playing a game push a little harder. In doing so we surprise ourselves of what we are capable of accomplishing.

2. Competition teaches us to bring our best effort. Keeping score gives us extra motivation to do our best. We pursue excellence when we compete.

3. Competition teaches us to manage our nerves. When something is out of our comfort zone or pushes us to perform, it"s normal to feel fluttery within. Competition brings those butterflies out, so we can work on managing them. A trait that we can carry with us in taking exams, interviewing for jobs and giving presentations.

4. Competition does not have to be feared. Often kids fear competition, making it into something scarier or more important than it needs to be. When they compete, they realize that it wasn"t so scary after all.

5. Competition teaches us to take risks. Once we realize that competition is not a terrifying thing, we can take risks. We can develop our confidence to do things that are hard or uncomfortable.

6. Competition teaches us to cope when things do not go our way. Sometimes you work hard, and you still lose. Sometimes you win but still didn"t perform as you wanted to. We learn resilience and grit in these moments. Resilience and grit are two traits that most certainly are essential in adulthood.

7. Competition helps us with goal setting. While setting goals and making a plan to reach them can be done outside of competition, competition helps provide deadlines and progress checks on our goals.

8. Competition teaches us to play by rules. Learning to operate within rules and developing strategies to use those rules to our advantage are great things competition teaches.

9. Competition helps us to learn to win and lose with grace. Nobody likes a boastful person, and nobody likes are pouter. Competition gives us the opportunities to cope with feelings of pride and disappointment and to learn to process them in healthy ways.

10. Competition is fun. Most people enjoy games. They have fun playing them. Being a part of team makes us feel like we belong. Taken correctly competition is fun for kids.

11. Competition can build self-esteem. Self-esteem cannot be handed to kids; they have to earn it. Competition is one way kids earn self-esteem. When you develop a talent and work hard for a result, it feels great. When you fail and learn that can bounce back, you feel more confident in yourself because you understand that you have resilience.

12. Competition teaches commitment. There is a saying that says "Successful people do the things that unsuccessful people don"t want to do. That is why they are successful." Building the habit of commitment is a wonderful by-product of being involved in competitive sports.

13. Competition gives us another community. When you are part of a team, you are in a network of peers and adults who have interests and values similar to yours. It is always great to have another village in your life or that of your child"s.

14. Competition presents opportunities to travel. Maybe it"s just within your state, or maybe it"s national or even international. But being part of a competitive team often gives us an opportunity to visit places and interact with people that might not otherwise meet.

15. Competition causes kids to perform better in school. Data shows that high school students who play sport are less likely to drop out. Furthermore, participation in sports also has been associated with completing more years of education and consistently higher grades in school. Not surprising that the discipline and goal setting that is learned in competitive sports helps in school.

I will now address my opponents case. my opponent begins with a few questions that I will take a moment to answer. playing around with friends is fun right? yes. is playing with teammates even more fun? definitely. has playing a sport ever made you feel energized and confident? absolutely. stressed and pressured? sure. But it's how we deal with these emotions that helps us grow. it's inevitable that everyone will feel stressed or pressured. it's also imperative that we learn how to handle it.

When people speak of development, they often speak of cognitive development rather than physical development although it is also true that sports improve physical condition as well. My opponent argues that children should not play sports because they could get stressed or injured. Regarding injury, if we don't take the risk that children get injured, and instead wrap them in bubble wrap and keep them 100% safe, then those children will be stunted when it comes to dealing with real-world challenges. This also regards stress. As I stated previously, everyone experiences stress. Children need to learn how to deal with it, and being sheltered from it does no good for the child.

My opponent puts forth the argument that children should not be placed under any pressure to succeed. Without a drive to succeed, to better oneself, people tend not to. My opponent states that children may be subject to "emotional burnout" but fails to address that since many people don't have any "emotional burnout" that this state may be caused by a deeper underlying problem rather than a pressure to succeed. My opponent brings up CTE and Alzheimers. For CTE I would like to bring us back to the bubble wrap example. If we keep our children 100% safe, it doesn't do them any good. Furthermore, CTE is primarily found in professional athletes and military veterans. it can be found in high school athletes but is much rarer. also, CTE has been found in many people who have not played contact sports which means that abolishing competitive sports would not make our children safer. Moreover, CTE only apples to contact sports. this does not include all competitive sports or even a majority of them. Alzheimer's is a very common disease in the elderly with over 3 million cases per year in the United States alone. the assertion that Alzheimer's is caused by competitive sports is ludicrous.

Next up, my opponent argues that children should not play sports because they need to be a kid. However, As my opponent states in their attempted counterargument. being a kid has always entailed sports. and no, no one actually believes that they NEED to be the greatest player in the sport. but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. I also contest the assertion that trying to be the best is a negative trait.
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
I get what you are saying though I still disagree. We might as well ban school academics too because the pressure is also bad for children. Studies have shown that testing and homework affect kids' stress levels and high amounts of stress is directly connected to ulcers, mental breakdowns (which do happen to kids), and depression. Also, bullying and peer pressure can affect kids negatively too. Kids commit suicide because of bullying and academic pressure.