emsiblook
these_republicans

Should people in privileged countries be vegetarian?

emsiblook

Pro

I've changed my mind a lot on this issue over the year. I'm trying to clarify my views on it. But I'm going to assume my moral vegetarian high ground for this debate.

I believe that there is no excuse to not being vegetarian. A few decades ago, I would understand. Back then, People knew where their food came from. If you didn't raise your own food, You could get your meat from a local butcher and the milkman would deliver milk from the local dairy. Animals were never given growth hormones and antibiotics, And therefore the meat was much healthier.

We've eaten meat for millions of years, We've evolved to it. But I believe that with the increased number of vegetarians and vegans in the world, Our unique sense of morality has evolved further from just our own kind, To include animals.

Nowadays, We buy en masse from supermarkets without much thought - animals are raised in tiny, Crowded cages in unhygienic conditions, Without ever seeing the light of day. As if they weren't stressed enough, On the journey to the slaughterhouse, They will recieve no food or water on a ten-hour ride; trucks can range from -15 degrees to +30 degrees celcius depending on the season. In the cold, Sometimes cows will freeze to the side of the truck until they are pried off with crowbars.
I could go on, But I think you get the idea.

Even the label of 'free-range farming' is clutching at straws; one of the requirements is that animals must be able to have access to outside light. Therefore, Farmers will cut small holes in the factories. Yeah, /that/ is classed as their access to the outside world.

Eating meat is also bad for the environment; deforestation and loss of habitat is largely caused by the crop fields required to feed farm animals; whereas crops required to feed only humans is a much smaller amount.

I would support a fully free-ranged (or should I say organic, To be safe) diet, But with most of our food being bought as ready meals, And processed, It is becoming more difficult to distinguish labelling of good sources of meat.

Other than that, There is simply no excuse to eating meat nowadays. Compared to what animals have to go through, When your main argument 'but its yummy' that really makes you sound pretttty ignorant.
these_republicans

Con

Yes I can see where at some spots (especially these days) you can't really tell what actual meat tastes like because of the hormones and preservatives in it. But if our saying it should be mandatory, Then no I am opposing. If it is mandatory in a privileged country, Then no. Citizens should have the right to choose what path to take on their life. And what would most likely happen if everyone were vegetarian in certain countries is that the producers of vegetables would start focusing on vegetables and put preservatives in them. But do not get me wrong, Being vegan is not a bad lifestyle.
emsiblook

Pro

I'm not saying that everyone should be forced to be vegan, I'm saying it would be morally right if everyone made that decision. In terms of preservatives, I see your point, Vegetables can be made less healthy in many ways just as meat can. The only thing I would say is that hormones and antibiotics affect both you and the animal, Whereas putting preservatives in plants affects just you.
these_republicans

Con

Ah ok, Well I agree with the fact that the amount preservatives in meat are so heavy you can't tell what is really in them. I don't see a problem with people eating vegetables for the rest of their lives, It's their choice. If God did not want this lifestyle to exist, He wouldn't have put it here. And even though I know animal meat can be dangerous, I don't see myself turning to a vegetarian-or at least not now. Which I can see you are more worried about the animal inflicting pain, I think? I understand that the animals will go through some painful processes, But I put my life first. As with vegetables, You can't really tell if there is a type of disease or harmful bacteria in the crop. Every year there are at least three major disease outbreaks found in crops, Which leads to casualties and harm. I wouldn't want to eat straight vegetables unaware if there are any diseases in them that have not been announced. But it can go the same way with meat.
emsiblook

Pro

emsiblook forfeited this round.
these_republicans

Con

these_republicans forfeited this round.
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
I still raise the question: What do you suppose we should do with the billions of livestock worldwide? Genocide?
Posted by emsiblook 3 years ago
emsiblook
@K_Michael_Tolman The history of farming is one that has continually changed in response to technology, The change in environment and the value of commodities. For example, The number of sheep has halved since the 1960s. So we could handle it. We wouldn't make the change automatically, It would come in stages. We're already in the first stage, Where 1% of the UK population is vegan, And red meat consumption having decreased by 46% since the late 1930s. If we decreased the market for animal agriculture, We would increase the market for plant agriculture, As well as vegan and vegetarian animal product alternatives, Such as quorn, And soya-based milk and cheese, Leading to more jobs, And competition, And innovation, In these areas. This comes with the added benefit of lower environmental impact and being less labour intensive, Leading to higher income and less hours under a veggie agricultural system. The land used for animals for grazing could be used for plants, And any arid or semi-arid land has produced a low yield anyway, So it would not make a large difference in food production.
Posted by emsiblook 3 years ago
emsiblook
@EStone523
Posted by emsiblook 3 years ago
emsiblook
My assumption was that meat is very easy to source naturally, In developing countries where farms are kept as a direct link to food, Because they are very limited in their options for food, As opposed to developed countries where supermarkets exist and we no longer rely on meat as it is possible to source a wide range of vegan/vegetarian food that will give us the nutrients we need. Therefore I feel like the less developed countries cannot afford to think about the morality involved in killing animals, As they have other problems, Like poverty.
Posted by EStone523 3 years ago
EStone523
I understand the idea of having privileged countries be vegetarian, However, I post this question for you instead:

Shouldn't poorer countries be vegetarian instead?

It's much cheaper to be vegetarian and grow veggie/fruit crops, And meat production costs more-not to mention the added costs of pastures and livestock. Therefore, Wouldn't it be more cost effective and economically better for poorer countries such as Ethiopia and Haiti to adopt a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle?
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
"Eating meat is also bad for the environment; deforestation and loss of habitat is largely caused by the crop fields required to feed farm animals; whereas crops required to feed only humans is a much smaller amount. "
If humans changed diets, However, We would have to plant more human crops.

If humans, As a race decided on a moral basis to stop eating animals, What do you suggest we do with the literal billions of livestock in the world? There is also a lot of land and expensive farm equipment, Not to mention the slaughterhouses and meat processing plants (heh, Plants) that would lose their value. Not all pasture land can be converted into crop land. Basically, You would put millions out of their jobs. We can't just stop. Our economy can't sustain such an extreme change in direction.
Posted by emsiblook 3 years ago
emsiblook
Ignore that lol
Posted by emsiblook 3 years ago
emsiblook