NettSpaghet
neonoctopus

Should prisoners on death row (or serving life) be allowed to donate organs?

NettSpaghet

Pro

If someone is serving a life sentence or is on death row should they be allowed to donate their internal organs?

As a Christian I wonder if it is a form of suicide. Do you think it is?

INSTRUCTIONS
1. I am the PRO. I am not totally convinced if this is a good idea or not. I will ask the CON questions.
2. If you are a CON please do your best to answer. You can answer as a PRO or CON, Depending on what your view is. Please verify what side you are voting for before answering.
3. Enjoy the debate!

Disclaimer!
I do not mean to offend anyone who knows someone in prison by suggesting they could be allowed to die. I only mean this as a debate because I have been wondering about this for a while.
neonoctopus

Con

The definition of suicide is intentionally killing yourself. So I think what matters is the intent. If some person was on death row and wanted to die before getting killed so the person donated their organs yes I think that is suicide. Another situation could be a prisoner sentenced to prison for life and wanted to donate organs because they couldn't do any other good things in the world. (I'm trying to be gender neutral tell me if you don't care)

But to answer the"debate " topic I think prisoners should be able to donate minor organs like 1 lung or 1 kidney or a portion of the liver, Pancreas, And intestine. Because they must have done something really bad to get into jail for life or death row so
I think you should keep them alive because they usually deserve what is happening to them.
NettSpaghet

Pro

That is very true. This is my first debate so I'm not really sure what to do next!
If you were given the option of donating an organ(s) to someone in need instead of sitting on death row what would you choose?

Disclaimer!
neonoctopus

Con

I would definitely pick donating an organ because I don't want to die. Also even if I was on death row ( Which I hope I never am) I would try to donate organs to help others before I die.

(I'm actually 13 but the site won't let me become a member unless 14)
NettSpaghet

Pro

This is my first debate. I'm not sure what to do next so I guess this could be it.
neonoctopus

Con

OK well don't write any more so I can win :)
NettSpaghet

Pro

NettSpaghet forfeited this round.
NettSpaghet

Pro

NettSpaghet forfeited this round.
Posted by DumplingDebate 3 years ago
DumplingDebate
Srry but I will vote for neonoctopus
Posted by LOL98700z 3 years ago
LOL98700z
Currently U cannot have your organ donated if you are a death row inmate. I will quote Wikipedia here:
as of 2013 all requests by death row inmates to donate their organs after execution have been denied by states. Additionally there is debate about whether current organ donation guidelines, Outlined in the National Organ Transplant Act of 1984 and the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act, Implicitly prohibit death row inmates from being organ donors.
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
The problem is that you have to die in hospital to have your organs collected.
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
That's not how organ donation works. It just means that your organs are harvested after your death, Not that you are killed voluntarily so that your organs can be harvested.
Under that (correct) definition, Death row criminals should be allowed to donate organs, But i don't know if they can or not.