shokoishida
InterrogatorMaster

Should schools be allowed to use mobile phones?

shokoishida has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

shokoishida

Con

As far as I am concerned, mobile phones should not be in school.
Because children use it to send text messages, chat with social software, and even cheat.
I have seen in a blog on a website that China has used jamming devices to ban students from using mobile phones. Although this may be a little extreme, it is undoubtedly beneficial.
Blog address:
https://www.perfectjammer.com...
I think China's approach is worth learning.
InterrogatorMaster

Pro

I know that many of you will automatically vote against this topic because many of you hate cheating. But for the sake of the educationally value in today's round, I hope you can step aside your biases and consider both teams arguments. Starting off, I would really like to thank my opponent for hosting this debate, a real opportunity to see a real world problem.

I negate. Although the resolution is: Should schools be allowed to use mobile phones, I'm sure the resolution is not of the entire school, so the resolution for this round ought to be more specifically changed to: Students should be allowed to use

For efficiency of this round, definitions will be granted upon request.
Framework: Since the resolution writes about school specifically, education ought to be taken into consideration. Therefore, whichever team links better into bettering education wins today's round.

Observation 1: Phones have been around almost 20 years, if they were bad it would've already shown an effect in the status quo.

Lets begin.

Contention 1: Allowing Mobile Phones increases productivity
A phone can be used for many educational things like research, projects, calculators, and even putting in important dates when a homework assignment or a project is due. You can also use a phone to call or text your parents if maybe you forgot your lunch at home, need lunch money so you can eat at school, or let them know that you have tutorials after school that day. The Guardian finds that allowing students to use cellphones in schools, increases the grades of those students by an average of 10%. Make the negative prove in today's debate that an increase of 10% in education is bad for our schools.

Contention 2: Banning Phones is not the solution
As CNN Money reports that although students can play games and cheat through phones, banning is not the solution. Teachers can ask for all phones before tests to prevent cheating and game playing to prevent phone usage. However, banning does not ensure that phones still wouldn't be used. Just like drugs, in many schools they are banned, but students have always found a way to use them inside of schools, which could be a similar pathway to the phone issue. If the negative can truly say that by banning, no student at any given moment in any school, will have a phone, then the negative gets ground. Until then, the affirmative is gaining this territory.

Contention 3: Banning Phones would require legislation to be passed
With a shocking 80% of policymakers actually in support of phones being used inside of schools, it automatically makes it the burden of the negative to somehow make it a miracle to change the minds of the policymakers and tell them to support anti-phone. Without policymakers agreeing in this situation, any individual can have opinions, but phones will stil continue to be used inside of school.

While we're actually linking better into education because today's debate was ultimately started by phones affecting the education of students, I proudly negate for the sake of education.
shokoishida

Con

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for participating in this debate.
So let's get started.

Contention 1: Mobile phones are not necessary on campus
Although it seems that mobile phones can bring us a lot of convenience, they can find other things to replace.
First, school can set up a landline, you can use landline and contact your family. Second, if you need access to information, you can choose to use the school's computer. Finally, according to scientific research, students who use mobile phones for long periods of time have significantly less attention and memory than other students.

Contention 2: Selectively disable mobile phones
There is no doubt that a total ban on mobile phones is difficult. But we can at least selectively ban mobile phones. For example, cell phones are prohibited in the classroom. Of course, this is not easy. Schools may need to build a Faraday cage.

In addition, I would like to point out that it's not that students can't own mobile phones. Just students can't use cell phone during a classroom or exam period.
InterrogatorMaster

Pro

Again, many thanks for my opponent for this excellent opportunity to learn and debate over a major issue.

Lets, begin. The order will be my opponents response onto my case/ new arguments and return onto my own case.

First, onto my opponents case.
Onto the first contention,
-My opponent tells us that mobile phones are not necessary on campus and the counter plan that is offered is landlines. 2 responses to this. First, recognize that The Guardian explains that the colleges have to spend on average of close to $100,000 just on landlines. That's easy money that can be avoided and used for educational uses. At the point that we tell you about the $100,000, the money has to come from somewhere forcing tuition to be raised. Second, landlines will be only offered to a certain point, when they tell you that schools don't allow mobile phones, that creates an incentive for people to stop bringing phones and if the student steps outside the campus and is not longer in range, it might take minutes to reach the landlines and sometimes there's not that much time in an emergency.
-Then he tells you about students having less attention and memory. Remember that phones are only banned in school, so it still allows students to use phones outside of schools. If students still can use phones, then their attention and memory will get lowered. The argument is non-unique as it happens both in the affirmative and negative world.

Onto the second contention,
My opponent is changing the wording of the resolution which states: Students should be allowed to use mobile phones in school. Don't let my opponent twist the words into just for exams and classrooms. Therefore, there's no "selectively", its the whole school. Remember, when we see a similar example like the war on the drugs, crime rates increased by 200%, that's a similar analogy with phones. Once phones get banned, misbehavior in school as a rebellion might increase.

Now onto my own case.
Extend my observation which my opponent completely dropped. Observation 1: Phones have been around almost 20 years, if they were bad it would've already shown an effect in the status quo. Make my opponent show you why they haven't been banned yet.

Now onto my first contention, extend all arguments because they haven't been attacked, so therefore conceded. Once again, make my opponent prove that an increase of 10% in education is bad for our schools.

Now onto my second contention, once again extend all arguments. My opponent brings up the selectively disabling which I mentioned above.

Now onto my third contention, extend all arguments because they haven't been attacked, so therefore conceded. Make my opponent prove to you that policymakers will allow this legislation to be passed.

Posted by Maths-ScienceGuru 2 years ago
Maths-ScienceGuru
This is turning out to be quite the interesting debate.