Frost332
Anonymous

Should social media should be banned for people but not ALL people?

Frost332 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Frost332

Pro

Social media should be banned but not for all people. For example; everyday people get hit by people who are texting while driving. Now I'm not saying all people text and drive but there is A LOT of people who do. Because they can't seem to put down their phones for at most a few hours. Or even a few minutes without checking it. The world around you is FAR more important than a stupid network of people who go through an account and hit LIKE for things that are completely stupid. If you wanted to text someone you could EASILY just put down your phone, drive to a parking lot (with out looking at your phone), find a parking space to park in and text while you're parked. Not every text needs a reply. Just like you don't need to take a picture of yourself and post it on facebook, instagram, twitter, or snapchat every ten minutes. Social media is not as important as spending time with family and friends IN PERSON. Social media also ruins MANY relationships. Take me for example; my ex girlfriend Katherine A. Ridner was always on her phone checking instagram or snapchat as if her life depended on it. Most straight men prefer that their girlfriends put down their phones and cling onto them without letting go. I still got attention from Katherine, but it wasn't the right amount. She doesn't even play with her little sister anymore. She just brushes her off as if her sister isn't there asking to play. Social media ruined both her relationship with me AND her ENTIRE family. I dumped her because every time I asked her to get off her phone she always said okay one sec and never got off. NEARLY EVERY teenage girl is on social media every five minutes as well. They don't care about school or their grades or finding a boyfriend or even just hanging out with their friends like a NORMAL person. If it were MY choice to decide how social media should work I would make it so that social media is unable to be accessed until 8 or 9 in the after noon and automatically logs you off at around 4 or 5 in the morning. We don't need to take it away entirely but we still need to take it from all of the people who need it too much.
And if you also think about it you will notice that nearly an estimated amount of one thousand people die every day by getting hit by either texting while they are driving or looking at their phone all day without looking where they're going and stumble into the road where a NORMAL person who isn't always on their phone can hit them and be sued or put in jail for something that wasn't even their fault. SCREW YOUR STUPID DISCRIMINATION!!! If it came down to saving hundreds of people or letting them die because the means of saving them would be discriminating, what would you choose? Save the lives or take offense and be a little b!tch about it and let them die all because it hurt your feelings? I don't know about you until you respond but I sure as he!! would choose to save them. The law of discrimination isn't as important as saving a human life. Discriminating others ON social media is wrong and it happens every single day. Kicking a few people off of social media isn't hurting anyone. It's HELPING them and SAVING MANY LIVES!!! You should make your choice. Either the lives of innocent people or just dropping social media for the entire day and waiting til you're at home to use it. When I go to work I turn off my phone. I don't even get it out during my break AT ALL because not only is social media dangerous BUT IT'S ALSO A COMPLETE AND UTTER WASTE OF TIME. OUR TIME ON THIS PLANET IS LIMITED AND MOST PEOPLE WANT TO SPEND THAT VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF TIME WITH THEIR FACES IN THEIR PHONES AND NOT BECOME ANYTHING OF THEMSELVES. Even the owner of Facebook doesn't use social media very much. So YEAH it should be taken from certain people because it's a waste of time to always be on it and it can save more lives to not use it all of the time.

Con

"Social media should be banned but not for all people. For example; everyday people get hit by people who are texting while driving. Now I'm not saying all people text and drive but there is A LOT of people who do. Because they can't seem to put down their phones for at most a few hours. Or even a few minutes without checking it."

Texting is a completely different aspect of life than social media. They really aren't comparable. Many people text because their business requires it, many people text when there is an emergency, and sure many people text just to talk to friends. But even personally I rarely am on my phone in the car unless I am texting.

"The world around you is FAR more important than a stupid network of people who go through an account and hit LIKE for things that are completely stupid. If you wanted to text someone you could EASILY just put down your phone, drive to a parking lot (with out looking at your phone), find a parking space to park in and text while you're parked."

People have places to be... they can't just park and text an entire conversation. They are in the car for a reason. And again, your argument is based upon social media, not texting, so you're arguing for the wrong thing.

"Not every text needs a reply. Just like you don't need to take a picture of yourself and post it on facebook, instagram, twitter, or snapchat every ten minutes."

And most of the time people don't do that. You can't make generalizations and ban everyone when there are only a few addicted to it. If it really bothers you so much, just don't interact with them.

"Social media is not as important as spending time with family and friends IN PERSON. Social media also ruins MANY relationships. Take me for example; my ex girlfriend Katherine was always on her phone checking instagram or snapchat as if her life depended on it."

First of all, kind of an ignorant move to put your ex's full name onto your story. It shows how petty you are and how easily you let your emotions get to you when you're trying to have an objective argument. Instead of complaining about it after the fact as you are now, it was your responsibility to talk to her about it straight up. If you're not willing to bring up a problem to make her a better person, then you didn't really want her anyway.

"Most straight men prefer that their girlfriends put down their phones and cling onto them without letting go. I still got attention from Katherine, but it wasn't the right amount. She doesn't even play with her little sister anymore. She just brushes her off as if her sister isn't there asking to play. Social media ruined both her relationship with me AND her ENTIRE family."

I'm not sure why you had to include the "straight men" part of that sentence, I would assume every type of relationship would want attention from their partner. And clearly you were clingy, because you just said "cling onto them without letting go"... You required too much attention and couldn't take that she was interacting with other people online. And not playing with your little siblings is a part of maturing and growing up. You can't specifically blame social media for that. And even if you could, it was you and her family's responsibility to bring the problem up so that she could work on it.

"I dumped her because every time I asked her to get off her phone she always said okay one sec and never got off. NEARLY EVERY teenage girl is on social media every five minutes as well. They don't care about school or their grades or finding a boyfriend or even just hanging out with their friends like a NORMAL person"

Yet another generalization. Every decision you've made in this argument is based upon wild generalizations and personal emotion. You ask the girls in my honors classes whether they care about school and their grades and I promise you that you'll get the other answer. And frankly most of the single girls that I see on social media complain that they don't have a boyfriend. So its not like they don't care about dating. Social media can be a gateway to in person interaction. Of course some people are obsessed and addicted to it. But that goes with literally everything in our materialistic society. So unless you would like all of us to convert to Buddhism, this aspect of life is going to continue no matter what.

"If it were MY choice to decide how social media should work I would make it so that social media is unable to be accessed until 8 or 9 in the after noon and automatically logs you off at around 4 or 5 in the morning. We don't need to take it away entirely but we still need to take it from all of the people who need it too much"

I don't know if you've noticed but not much life happens late at night. Any important news or announcement that has to be made would have to wait until everyone is about to go to sleep. Is that really fair to you? And your argument is to ban all social media from everyone. So again you're going against your argument.

"And if you also think about it you will notice that nearly an estimated amount of one thousand people die every day by getting hit by either texting while they are driving or looking at their phone all day without looking where they're going and stumble into the road where a NORMAL person who isn't always on their phone can hit them and be sued or put in jail for something that wasn't even their fault."

It is the drivers job to be cautious on the road. If it is a situation where the person jumps in from of you without warning, of course you won't just be thrown in jail. Maybe the person should get off of their phone. But you're the one driving a two ton castle of metal going at 40 miles an hour. You're responsible most of the time unless the judge decides otherwise. So instead of complaining about life deal with how it is and move on.

"SCREW YOUR STUPID DISCRIMINATION!!! If it came down to saving hundreds of people or letting them die because the means of saving them would be discriminating, what would you choose? Save the lives or take offense and be a little b!tch about it and let them die all because it hurt your feelings?"

I'm so confused as to how banning everyone from social media would save anyone. It would completely destroy our right of free speech... a constitutional right. So that means that they would have the right to take ANY other constitutional right away as well. If you're on your phone all the time and you die from it, it's your fault. Not the governments. I think we should educate more about social media, sure. But not ban it completely.

"I don't know about you until you respond but I sure as he!! would choose to save them. The law of discrimination isn't as important as saving a human life. Discriminating others ON social media is wrong and it happens every single day. Kicking a few people off of social media isn't hurting anyone. It's HELPING them and SAVING MANY LIVES!"

It isn't discrimination. It's destroying our right as humans to have an opinion and share that opinion. Discrimination is part of society. You either deal with it or you don't, that's your problem. But that doesn't make social media inherently evil. "kicking a few people off of social media" is not the same as BANNING people off of social media. BANNING anyone is violating their right as humans. Good things happen on social media every day and if you want to look at the glass as half full that's your problem. News is spread through social media. Banning social media promotes ignorance to other aspects of society.

"You should make your choice. Either the lives of innocent people or just dropping social media for the entire day and waiting til you're at home to use it. When I go to work I turn off my phone. I don't even get it out during my break AT ALL because not only is social media dangerous BUT IT'S ALSO A COMPLETE AND UTTER WASTE OF TIME. OUR TIME ON THIS PLANET IS LIMITED AND MOST PEOPLE WANT TO SPEND THAT VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF TIME WITH THEIR FACES IN THEIR PHONES AND NOT BECOME ANYTHING OF THEMSELVES. Even the owner of Facebook doesn't use social media very much. So YEAH it should be taken from certain people because it's a waste of time to always be on it and it can save more lives to not use it all of the time"

You can have any opinion on social media you want. You see it as evil? FINE. But not everyone does. People see it as a gateway to the destruction of ignorance and an opportunity to share who they are and what they think. Banning social media destroys email, snapchat, twitter, any news source, and this site itself. You ban social media, you censor society. They go hand in hand. You do you and let people do them. There are stupid people in the world. That doesn't mean everyone should be punished for it. Sure, people should be educated more on being safe online and deciphering fact from fiction. But that by no means we should ban its use from anyone. Ignorance is the biggest cause of hate in our world, and social media prevents that
Frost332

Pro

Uh hey.... uhh... you don't know this but texting is actually a form of social media. And so what if someone has an emergency, they can just call who they're texting that lowers the danger of hitting others by a long shot. I'll tell you why...
When you are texting you are looking at your phone and not the road. So what if you glance everyfew seconds. it's still not safe. but if you are on a call you aren't looking at your phone because it's on your face. So you can see exactly where your going. And yea ALOT of people are always posting a picture of themselves every ten minutes.
I have watched people get hit by cars when the driver was texting. I was in a car while the driver texted his girlfriend. We ended up hitting and killing a man and woman because of that. So you aren't gonna change my mind. the world is safer without social media or texting.
And nitwit I'm targeting both texting and social media. So your arguement about me argueing over texting or social media is invalid. And you should also write shorter responses too so that people will actually read it. And besides if you're rarely on your phone or cpu then why did you have the time to write such a long response. Ban social media and texting for most people to save lives. thats my arguement. If you don't like that then you'll have to suck my a$$. Kill as many people as you want. I refuse to use social media more than once a week because I have seen what alot of people do with it and it gets others hurt. So shorten your responses so that people will read them. I know i ain't gonna read the next one if its that long. And don't dis on others arguement. State what you think about the debate and not about what someone else says you over obsessive piece of tally.

Con

If you are really so lazy that you can't read my response, then you're more ignorant than I thought. You making judgments based off of personal experiences that not everyone has had. Just because you may be traumatized doesn't mean everyone should be punished just because you say so. "Social Media" and "Communication" are completely different things. Texting is not social media. Talking on the phone may be a little less dangerous than texting, but that doesn't make it safe. People still are not focused on their surroundings while they are talking on a phone. And no, not A LOT of people are posting a picture every ten seconds. I'm a high school student. I would know this. Just because you witnessed the death of a man doesn't mean you have the right to destroy this complex and useful system of communicating an infinite amount of information. And btw, attacking me personally by calling me a nitwit just shows your stupidity and bias because you're losing the argument. You complain that people are online too much yet you have had plenty of time to come to this insignificant website to argue with a stranger. Telling me to "suck your a$$" just shows how insecure you are about your belief. If you don't read this, then so be it. Because sometimes ignorance can't be helped if the person isn't willing to try. Don't tell me not to talk about what you say when you're calling me a nitwit, obsessive piece of tally, and telling me to suck your a$$. Hypocrite.
Posted by Anonymous 2 years ago
DeletedUser
Banning social media for some people is censoring some people to their right to free speech. Against the constitution....