flin2408
CosmoJarvis

Should students get phones?

flin2408 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 1/16/2017 Category: Technology
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

flin2408

Con

Students should not get phones because they can harm their eyesight and they will be on it all day.
CosmoJarvis

Pro

It would have been in my best interest to make a formal argument with proper evidence and sources to create a valid claim, but my opponent has limited the number of words to be a mere 750. My points will be brief, but try to include my main reasoning behind them.

Point 1: Safety
Phones give us the ease of access of calling 911 from any location. In many dangerous situations, a call to the police can save a person's life. Phones have even been used to miraculously locate missing or kidnapped people.

Point 2: Information
The internet is considered to be one of the best sources for information and can be used through phones to research for academic purposes or studying.

Point 3: Enjoyment
We often seem to forget the importance of enjoyi (NOMOREWORDS)
flin2408

Con

Students can also lose the phone before the accident. They don't need a phone. They can borrow one from a friend or a neighbors. Students will download apps that costs money and you would have to pay . Students will also be on the phone all day long on social media or games. Students also will not be physically active. Every kid needs to be physically active to be active.If you give them a phone, they might ask for a computer. If you say no, they will say why they can't get what they need. They will demand you to give it to them.
Kids might not also sleep. Phones can disrupt your sleep and kids need sleep because they're growing. If they don't sleep well, they will be easily angered. They also might buy a in app purchase without permission
CosmoJarvis

Pro

You suggest things that people can do but fail to take into account the likelihood of these instances.

To make a purchase, you must get a credit card. Only people 18 and older can own a credit card, and it is their responsibility to make sure nobody, even their children if they chose to buy apps with the card. Additionally, there is a large range of fun games that are free and can be used as alternatives to the expensive apps.

I believe phones can teach people on how to moderate their time on electronics. Whether it's through realizing it, or facing the consequences of it (through things like bad grades), they'll be introduced the necessity of using electronics in moderation at a younger age, before it's too late.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
If I hadn't reluctantly accepted the debate without checking the character limit, I would have not even considered joining. But I am a fool, so it goes.