coldtim
Anonymous

Should the Northern Territory became a state?

coldtim

Pro

Australia, As we all know, Has 6 states and 2 territories. These 6 states and 2 territories come from the original 6 British colonies that came together to form what we know today as the Commonwealth of Australia on January 1st, 1901.

Though we all know Australia has 6 states and 2 territories it has come to my questioning as too why the Northern Territory is still not its own state. Though it could be argued that Canberra should be a territory of the federal government, I do not believe that the same should be done so for the Northern Territory as I feel that that the argument that many put forward that "The Northern Territories population levels are too low to justify the necessity of giving it statehood". If one truly has an issue with this why not just simply split the Northern Territory along the 22nd parallel south? Into the state of North Australia (I feel that calling it the Northern Territory when if it wasn't a territory would confuse too many people). Then the Central Australian Territory to become a land for the aboriginals. I feel this would be the best outcome for both groups. Plus taking away the lower half of the Northern Territory would only reduce the population from about 250, 000 to 200, 000 people. With the majority of those living in central Australia been in Alice Springs.

I hope everyone can see my point and please have fun and enjoy this little debate of mine.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Who did you agree with before the debate? Con
Who did you agree with after the debate? Con
Who had better conduct? Con
Who had better spelling and grammar? Con
Who made more convincing arguments? Con
Who used the most reliable sources? Con

One vote showing that con has won the debate
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
i wasnt trolling i was just saying hi. Theres no debate if there is only one round. It would be better if there were at least 3 rounds so we can have a back n forth. With it only being one round no one u wouldnt be able to respond back thats why i said hi
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
coldtim
Please don"t troll on this debate cause otherwise it just ruins the fun for everyone.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
coldtim
The reason I thought that the territory should be split was that when we arrived here in the 18th century we basically took everything that belonged to the aboriginals including their land etc. And used them as slaves of sorts. The best thing we can do is make a special state of Australia (Central Australian Territory) where these individuals can live in peace and harmony. Cause we have no right to this land as they arrived here 50, 000 years before us so I can't agree that we are the original landowners and I disagree with the Terra nullius or "nobody's land' concept".
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
coldtim
A territory has no representation in parliament having only 2 senators rather than the 12 a state has and also has no state government instead been administrated directly by Canberra. That is my understanding.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Question: What is the difference between a state and a territory?
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
coldtim
Just a side note. I am surprised no one has brought this issue up or even discussed it.