titanic1216
rootbeer5000

Should the United States give reparations for slavery?

rootbeer5000 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

titanic1216

Con

Haven't been on here in a while. But I'm willing to have some fun debating anyone on here. I just want this first round to be a round of acceptance and clarification that I will have no hard feelings after this debate.
rootbeer5000

Pro

The United States comitted an atrocity and they must be held accountable like any country. Their crimes thus far have gone unpunished and it sets a bad precedent for other countries. Slavery is similar to the Holocaust, and Germany had to pay reparations to the Jews. The United States effectively killed millions more than the Germans did, and they have had no consequences.
titanic1216

Con

Slavery was no doubt an atrocity like my opponent has stated. However, I would like to provide several reasons as to why America should not pay reparations for slavery. 1) In America, right now, no one is a slave and no one is a slave owner. No one that participated in slavery is alive right now, at this moment. 2) The word reparation is defined as paying money for one's wrongdoings, However, where is America going to get that money? America obviously cannot force taxpayers to pay money for slavery, which they have not committed. 3) And if America were to somehow pay reparations for slavery, what about the other groups that America has wronged? It would be unfair if America pays reparations for slavery and turns a blind eye towards other groups, such as the Native Americans: They lost their homeland due to Americans, is America to pay the United States back to them? 4) Lives are invaluable. So I ask you, how are you to put a value on a life? Is America supposed to assign a monetary value for each descendant of a slave? That would be illogical and unpractical.

Now to respond to my opponent. Back then, slavery was not considered a crime. In fact, most of the world was participating in slavery. Even Africa itself was enslaving its own prisoners of wars. Obviously, in the modern age, slavery is considered a huge crime. And if you are asking America to pay reparations, I would like you to ask the other countries, such as Britain, France, Belgium, etc, that participated in slavery if they are willing to pay reparations.
Posted by darkwolf 3 years ago
darkwolf
If anyone who was alive from back then, is still around then yes give them a reparation but most people alive today slavery didn't affect them personal. Now segregation is another issue but in many cases the slaves did get their just dues, have you ever hear that dumb jingle from history class 10 acres and a mule? In many cases that's what the former slaves got 10 acres of their former owner's land and a mule to plow the land.
Posted by gameprogrammer 3 years ago
gameprogrammer
Reparations have already been paid. In the form of blood. Hundreds of thousands killed in the civil war. 'Nuff said; the end.