BerNerNerZ
David_Debates

Should the minimum wage be raised?

BerNerNerZ has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

BerNerNerZ

Pro

This argument is pretty self-explanatory. But, because the minimum wage is different in certain countries, let's just say the minimum wage we're talking about is around seven or eight dollars. Con gets the first argument.
David_Debates

Con

I accept Pro's definition of the minimum wage to be, let's say a firm $8.00. I'll await Pro's first constructive, although I would request that Pro be specific in how much our hypothetical minimum wage should be raised by, not that it should meerly be raised.
BerNerNerZ

Pro

(Okay.By being raised,I mean being raised up to fifteen or twenty,whichever you think would be best.)
Think about this - is eight dollars really enough for someone to live their lives? Even if they did manage to have enough money to buy food and clothes and other necessities (a very rare case), the money would realistically be used to pay the bills. Though the majority are college or high school drop-outs, who cares? Everyone deserves to live life, and everyone deserves money to support their lives, which should be well-lived.
David_Debates

Con

Unfortunately, Pro is still vauge about his plan, gaving a range of $5 and that I should choose "whichever I think would be best." I'll just choose his plan to be to raise the MW from $8.00 to a whopping $18.00.

The US Federal Minimum Wage was first initiated by FDR as a part of his "New Deal." Many people revere this act to be the Government looking after it's unskilled, poor workers, however, it is the complete opposite. The reason why this was put into law was to actually discriminate against imigrant and unskilled workers who were asking for less than American workers could reasonably ask for. In other words, an Irishman was asking for only $0.15 an hour, while an American was asking for $0.25 an hour. After the MW was put in law, the Irishman would be unable to ask for any less than the minimum wage, and would have no barganing power left to secure a job, driving him out of the workforce.

The people who are hurt most by the MW are the people it is supposed to protect.
Posted by David_Debates 1 year ago
David_Debates
I agree. I'll be pointing that out in my 1NC.
Posted by DrCereal 1 year ago
DrCereal
"15 or 20" is still pretty vague.