chief_kieaf69
SuperDucky_101

Should the next Cambridge dictionary include the word "YEET!"?

chief_kieaf69 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

chief_kieaf69

Pro

"Yeet" has been around in the society only for months, but it has already acquired great popularity, especially in Academic circles. Research indicates it is about to replaced the words 'yes', 'no' and other useful expressions.
To illustrate my point, I am providing the following example: "Babe, I am pregnant!" - "Yeet!" /interpret: "You are going to make a great single mother!". Other important use cases: "That is a good idea.", "No, I have not eaten your bagel, you fat pig.", "I like trains" etc. Therefore I reckon accepting this new word will provide the UK with economic growth that could even dampen the harmful effects of Brexit on businesses.
SuperDucky_101

Con

I'm very happy when a debate this easy and simple comes along.
Let me explain what the dictionary is for. It's for enhancing vocabulary, understanding complicated words, and overall usefulness in spelling when writing important documents. In short, it's used for people who love literature.

The word "Yeet" is an internet meme with no meaning. If you want a definition of "Yeet!" we have something called the urban dictionary. However, the Cambridge dictionary is meant for literary scholars who are attempting to enhance their vocabulary or sound fancy.

I very much doubt a literary scholar would publish work with the word "Yeet!" in it.

Still, funny idea.
Posted by carnew 3 years ago
carnew
the only place the word "yIIT" should be put in is the morgue. you stinky dinky sandman.