ZdogDaBoss623
PassiveSquirrel

Should video games be in the next olympics?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Started: 11/8/2018 Category: Technology
Updated: 2 months ago Status: Voting Period

ZdogDaBoss623

Pro

Yes, Video games should be in the Olympics because it would give professional gamers a chance to show off and have fun other than esport competitions. Professional gaming is a gamers job, And if you would want to be a gamer you would have to get good at it. Video games also require smarts, Like any other sport. Like, What to do if you are the only person against a team of four? Should I go and try do shotgun all of them, Or snipe them far away? Since this dude has no shield, If I snipe him will he die? This is why I think that video games should be in the Olympics.
PassiveSquirrel

Con

Thank you for debating with me :)

Video games should not be in the next Olympic Games because unlike other sports they don't require any physical activity, And are machine aided. Another problem is what video games would we add? If we added two or three games, Most people probably wouldn't care. If they added more there would be too many video games in the Olympics. The point of the Olympics to bring people together through physical activity. Athletes train their whole lives to be in the Olympics, And it is an honor to compete in the Olympics. Video game players do practice and work hard, But physical sports require more skill and work ethic. "If I want to practice any Olympic discipline, If I wanted to try one of them, I actually have to go out and do it. I have to be active. Where gaming is right now, If I was inspired to be a gamer, My first step is to go home and sit on the couch. "" These are the words of Sarah Walker, An Olympian from New Zealand. This is why video games should not be in the next Olympic Games.

Source: http://theconversation. Com/why-e-sports-should-not-be-in-the-olympics-100430
ZdogDaBoss623

Pro

ZdogDaBoss623 forfeited this round.
PassiveSquirrel

Con

Thank you for debating with me :)

My opponent said, "it would give professional gamers a chance to show off and have fun other than esport competitions. " True, But the Olympics are every 2 years, While other esports competitions happen often. Sports athletes train their whole lives to become Olympians. Also, Video games as it is right now is a male dominated activity, You rarely see women playing.

ZdogDaBoss623

Pro

I give up because I agree with you.
ZdogDaBoss623

Pro

N/A non-applicable
PassiveSquirrel

Con

Nothing more to say!
ZdogDaBoss623

Pro

ZdogDaBoss623 forfeited this round.
PassiveSquirrel

Con

Video games don"t require much physical activity and should not be in the Olympics.
Posted by HoundDogZA 1 week ago
HoundDogZA
I also don't think I'd want to see video games in the olympics. I think the esports platforms and the industries behind them are appropriate and evolving adequately. In the olympics one expects more "traditional" competition.

That said, I think the Con is perhaps a little ignorant on the amount of skill and determination it takes to be a professional gamer. I've been a hobby gamer since the days of the Commodore 64. You'd think with those years of experience I'd be an elite by now and yet I am woefully outclassed by others who obsessively practice the games of their choice.

Furthermore, At the elite level it takes a level of dedication that saps the addictive fun out of the experience and makes it a commitment, A job, A goal. At this level players and teams require coaching and practice for hours and hours a day. The level of skill, Coordination and strategy/tactics is mind-boggling. This is not attained by, "sitting on the couch all day". Rather, It's like playing 4D chess at lightspeed - it is severely mentally draining. It makes traditional chess look like child's play and it is also visually entertaining to boot.
Vote Placed by Leaning 2 months ago
Leaning
ZdogDaBoss623PassiveSquirrelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Apparently Con, seeing on how Pro stated he was giving up do to agreeing with Con. Pro initial argument is basically we should allow Olympics because fun. Con notes a physical nature in Olympics and makes argument against video games. Pro didn't really rebuttal any of Cons arguments.