VikkiDream
ShakaZulu

Should we ban abortion or should we give a chance for a woman to make her own choice?

ShakaZulu

VikkiDream

Pro

In this discussion I want to bring up a topic about abortion. Nowadays this issue is still controversial and there are many people, who support and who clamor against this medical intervention. As for me I have nothing against this procedure and I believe that today in modern world every woman should have her own choice.

There exist a huge number of cases, when abortion should be legalized and before I list these cases I want to note that in the early stages of pregnancy the embryo does not have internal organs and brain, it's just a number of cells, which cannot be considered a full-fledged person.

So first of all, interruption of pregnancy can save the life of a mother who, for medical reasons, cannot give birth. Moreover the foetus itself can have some deviations, so in the future it will not have a chance to live a full life, that"s why abortion is a humane solution. Besides you can"t force a woman to give a birth for a baby conceived as a result of violence - this will only enhance her psychological trauma, which can lead to the most deplorable consequences for both women and child. Also I want emphasize the fact that the fate of underage mothers is hardly more successful than the life of those who had an abortion as a teenager. They almost certainly do not complete their studies and do not even get a secondary education; they cannot find normal work and cannot create normal conditions for the child. Usually they have economic problems and their marriage is rapidly breaking up.

If we look at the topic at the global level, then I can say that abortion is a fairly effective way of controlling births for countries with a large population (for example, India or China). Furthermore I have found some data regarding the safety of this procedure: the vast majority of women "" about 88% - have an abortion in the first trimester. The probability of complications in the case of abortion due to medical indications is only 0.5%, and it does not affect the reproductive health of a woman.

To sum up, one should say that every woman in a civilized society should have the right to control her own body, to dispose of her own life and if she wants to realize herself in a creative or career way, why should she be deprived of this opportunity?
ShakaZulu

Con

With all due respect to my opponent, she is looking at the issue from the point of view of the mother, who doesn't believe that other members of the human race have any claim on another's body.

My opponent will most likely point out that she is arguing the point of view that biologically, the zygote is not a human being, but only a collection of cells. It is worth noting that if you need to be physically human to be considered a human, then each cell of that zygote has the number and type of chromosomes as a human. Thus, nearly every zygote is genetically human. If it is consciousness that you are looking for, I might point out that intellect is not at all what the law looks for in determining whether a person is alive or human (If you don't believe me, just try killing a brain dead person, or on a lighter note, using them as a pet).

As for the "mother in danger" argument, according to the CDC, about 700 women die each year as a result of complications in pregnancy, which doesn't even begin to compare with the number of the four million pregnancies that are successful each year. However, 700 deaths is nothing at all to be sneezed at. Neither, I say are the 652,639 zygotes and fetuses that were were reported as aborted to the CDC in 2014 alone.

Now, I am not unreasonable, and would concede that an abortion in which the death of the mother and the fetus should be permissible, but those in which the zygote could be saved, the mother should go ahead and give birth. In the masculine world, males are expected, and often do, sacrifice themselves for their wives, children, and even girlfriends. In the name of equality, why do we not expect women to do the same for their offspring. My opponent will most likely point out that these zygotes are only potential humans, not people de facto. I disagree with that statement, but for the sake of argument, if my opponent were correct, and zygotes were simply potential humans, as it were, if we follow with logic, these potential humans are more valuable than their mothers.

"How can this be?" you may ask. "Who is ShakaZulu to decide who is more valuable than who?" It is simple, you can decide too. Humans should not be given an arbitrary value based on what they are, which would show bias, they should be judged on what they can become as this thinking would yield the greatest benefit for mankind. In this way, it is easy to see why we should always prefer our children, especially the unborn, because they are the ones that have the most time. They are also the ones that the future age is built for, not we who are closer to our deaths.

My opponent's arguement about pregnancies induced by violence are contrary to the belief systems of the two largest religions on earth. All abrahamic religions, namely Judaism, Christianity, and Islam (listed in chronoligical order, not order of preference) believe that a child should not be punished for their parents' sins. My opponent will probably state that the mothers are not punishing their children by depriving them of life, merely trying to accomplish the fulfillment of their own life. If you consider the three parts of an action the intent, the means, and the ends, you see that my opponent has validated only one step of the full action, and I challenge her to explain the morality of the other two.

In the next round, I would like clarification as to whether the mentioning of underaged mothers had to to with voluntary or involuntary conception.
VikkiDream

Pro

Thank you for your full and comprehensive answer!
To begin with, I want to clarify the issue about " whether the zygote is a human being or not". I would like to point out that according to studies carried out by Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists an embryo cannot feel pain until the 24-week period. The embryo does not feel pain in the early stages of pregnancy, as the nerve endings in the brain are in the stage of formation and cannot perceive pain signals. This process is completed only by 24 weeks of pregnancy, so an abortion performed before that date cannot be considered a murder.
In other words I would like to say that until a certain period (as a mentioned above it"s 24-week period), it is definitively the right of the mother, because the prohibition on abortion violates the already existing mother's right to control her own body and her own life.
As to the fact, that men sacrifice themselves for their wives and children, so women should do the same for their offspring, I would like to say that men will never understand what women feel when pregnancy threatens not so much her career and self-realization as much as her own life (for me 700 deaths of full-fledged persons mean more than death of 652,639 zygotes).
And what about the religious fact that "a child should not be punished for their parents' sins", I would like to say that if, for example, young woman doesn"t have enough support and money, she doesn"t have good work (because she probably quitted university, college or even school) how can she create normal conditions for the child? I mean whether such life is not a punishment for the child?
ShakaZulu

Con

To counter my opponent's argument that the killing of zygotes cannot be considered infanticide because they cannot feel pain, I would like to remind those reading that pain has nothing to do with murder. The principle of murder is extinguishing intelligent life in a human body without proper cause and convenience, quality of life, etc are not proper motivations toward extinguishing human lives. As zygotes fetuses and the like have more capacity for living than do we, it would be improper logic for us to eliminate them for the quality of life of a "full-fledged person." In this strain of thinking, it is illogical to value fully developed humans over undeveloped ones.

Although the argument is not substantial, I would like to point out that kidney stones are often cited as causing the same amount of pain that is caused in normal labor, so some men can empathise!

In concluding, I would like to note that taking away the chance to live a life is a greater punishment than letting a child live a poor one. Many of the most successful people came out of poor backgrounds and to refuse to give a child a chance because they are a child of a rape victim is simply immoral. In addition, the mother does not have to raise the child. Adoption is always an option. With this in mind, it is clear that mothers getting an abortion are simply attempting to shirk the duty and pain of childhood itself.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
If men put the responsibility of pregnancy on women before the fact, then men have no say about the pregnancy after the fact. When it comes to sex, a man risks nothing, only a few sperm cells and he can walk away, on the other hand a women risks everything, even her very life. Men do not deserve an equal say as they do not share an equal responsibility.
Posted by Danyi8h 3 years ago
Danyi8h
...for example, young woman doesn"t have enough support and money, she doesn"t have good work (because she probably quitted university, college or even school) how can she create normal conditions for the child? I mean whether such life is not a punishment for the child?

Doctors and scientists have developed different methods to avoid pregnancy. A young woman has to think and take the appropriate measures to avoid being pregnant. She can take contraceptives or protect by using a condom. If she is not ready to have a child, she has to think twice before the act. I do not blame her in this case, but she has to prevent a future child if she is not ready to have one.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
"All abrahamic religions, namely Judaism, Christianity, and Islam (listed in chronoligical order, not order of preference) believe that a child should not be punished for their parents' sins."
Do you even read your bible. What about Jesus, Adam and Eve did the crime their kids do the time. Sodom and Gomorrah had kids in those cities.Psalm 137:9 ,Matthew 2:16-18
Christian are so misinformed and unread and still suffer the Dunning"Kruger effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
Vote Placed by passwordstipulationssuck 3 years ago
passwordstipulationssuck
VikkiDreamShakaZuluTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spelling and grammar goes to con because pro made several grammatical mistakes throughout. for example, quitted in round two. Arguments goes to con because pro dropped most of cons arguments and con's biology and painless murder is still murder arguments were well founded.
Vote Placed by tanner_1230 3 years ago
tanner_1230
VikkiDreamShakaZuluTied
Reasons for voting decision: Just a clean argument that countered Pro's everypoint and gave a compelling argument themselves.