JollyOnnOfficial
Leaning

Should we detract our children from being exposed to vulgar and mean Xbox chats?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Started: 1/11/2019 Category: Games
Updated: 4 days ago Status: Voting Period

JollyOnnOfficial

Pro

I think that our children should be exposed to these things because, It makes them learn several lessons. One, They learn how to defend themselves and not be wussies in the future. Two, The children can gain a reputation of their own and they can feel how responsibility is to have.
Leaning

Con

Sure, I'll give this a try. My argument against this is simple, The influence of peers. Negative and toxic peers influence a person in negative and toxic fashions. Why would you want your children to emulate such people?

In the modern world it is important for children to learn that there are a$$es in it, Especially the internet. But there is a difference between teaching your children about other people and tossing them into a bad environment. It would be better to teach them concepts such as much of what you say online can be used against you, More often later in life by employers. Also good to teach them about trolls, But to just toss the kid too em? C'monnn.

Also based upon your arguments, I infer that you are arguing that 'We should encourage exposing our children to vulgar and mean Xbox chats? ' While I take the opposite view.
JollyOnnOfficial

Pro

There have been many people out there who have been in the same situation that I have posed. They are all perfectly normal today and don't act any different than normal people. It is all based on the sort of person you are and what kind of parents you have and what they expose you to. Say explicit websites that include 18+ content. Those children exposed to it and the main argument would grow up to be more violent and they would reflect those kinds of things in the future. Now that I see your argument, I would go with both if there was an option for that. You have changed my mind on this.

Of course you would have to monitor your child for that kind of stuff and not just throw them into the mic on games like Call of Duty. It was my fault that I hadn't explained that very clearly.

But say in the place that you were monitoring your child. Would YOU still approve of it?
Leaning

Con

Currently, I plan on not ever having kids, That I might avoid such decisions, Also other reasons.

My dad would probably be a man after your own heart. Worked as a teacher so he had summers off, While my mom worked in the summer. He would always be buying R rated movies, Explicit humorous music, Even bought a porn magazine for his kids during one trip to another city. Mother knew about any of it. Though I'm not saying that type of thing was the only type of thing we did with him. Also went to the beach, Park, Played frisbee, Hiking, Forced his kids to golf and so on.

Myself I felt rather uncomfortable for the most part about all R stuff.

Now then, Going with your current argument of allowing your kids to go to 18+ content or mix with foulmouths on Xbox. I haven't seen any studies or read any research myself, I'm thinking that the internet is still relatively new to understand it's effect on society and kids.

In any case a persons kids can learn how to have their own reputation without tying it to online life. Can learn it with actual people. Social skills may be improved a bit with the online, But I doubt that compares to in person. A persons kid can learn to be assertive without being aggressive, Which honestly, If they're trying to learn the social experience from online? Seems more likely to me they're going to be aggressive and tend toward rudeness.

There is 'one argument you can make I'd find a bit convincing, But I haven't heard it yet.
JollyOnnOfficial

Pro

I wouldn't allow my kids to go to 18+ websites and things like that. Everything depends on the parents and what they feel is best for their child and if it is bad, It is bad.

To be honest, I think that you have won this debate. It was my first one. You are a much better debater than me. I cannot come up with anything else to say. I have only been on this platform for less than a day and I plan to do more with it.

If you were to restrict your child at all, They would be missing out on a lot of stuff. Getting to socialize with others and make online friends. But if you were in one of these chats, I would think that you could simply report them for communication abusing. As I have been banned before and I have also banned others, Xbox checks their reports very frequently and they do take action a lot of the time. If say the child were not to abuse this system, They can get back on the people that made fun of him/her. You're a very good debater and I would like to debate with you another time thank you for the experience. I'm only in Middle school to be honest.
Leaning

Con

Eh, I consider myself an average debater with weak points in grammar and solid information such as statistics in debates. I appreciate it, Though it's more the age difference I would think, Or maybe it was just a debate slanted against you in the beginning. Some debates it's easier to be one side or the other.
Posted by Leaning 4 days ago
Leaning
Argument that you didn't make that 'I thought would be a good argument, Was that your kids are going to come across such behavior, Foul language, Trolls, R rated sites when they're old enough anyway.

Unless they're really determined to be masters of their own fates and captains of their own souls, So to speak. Or if they're Amish.

Can't really control what they do when they're 18, And most kids have cellphones and internet access before then anyway.
Posted by Leaning 4 days ago
Leaning
Sigh, If I don't reread my own words, I miss parts. Rather annoying, As well as the part where I only notice things piecemeal rather than all at once. I hate posting right after myself, But I also hate posting sentences that are missing words.

Myself I felt rather uncomfortable for the most part about all 'That R stuff.
Posted by Leaning 4 days ago
Leaning
And that should say, My mom 'Never knew about any of it.
Posted by Leaning 4 days ago
Leaning
"But say in the place that you were monitoring your child. Would YOU still approve of it? "

I don't know. Really rather avoid ever getting into that situation in life. If I ever have kids. . . . Theeennn, I'll rethink the question.