emsiblook
liem

Should we donate money to those in corrupt governmental systems abroad?

emsiblook

Pro

I am looking to challenge the argument that we should not give money to countries like Zimbabwe because we would not be stopping the vicious cycle - you need to remove the corruption in the government by doing that - but by supporting those in need, They will be in more of a position to challenge that government. What makes our own people any more valuable than those from any other country?
liem

Con

the fact that this is our own independently run country is the reason why we are more important. And when I say important, That does not mean that we posses more rights to a life and happiness, I just mean we should focus on our own problems more then we should be focusing on countries that have no relation with us. You brought up Zimbabwe, A very good example on how to NOT run a nation. Zimbabwe is very corrupt and the people in power are far more dangerous then its people. So if we send money over. . . Guess who its going to. The corrupt government. If we send to Zimbabwe, Then we should be sending to every country who has issues. To hell with it. Lets give Venezuela a boat load of money, Because you know, Its morally correct. Which is the exact argument you're making. A few questions I have for you. How much money? How often? How can we get it there?
emsiblook

Pro

emsiblook forfeited this round.
liem

Con

liem forfeited this round.
emsiblook

Pro

I posted this as a comment after my first forfeit.

Sorry, I've been so busy and I missed the deadline lol.

Why not elevate the whole world, Not just your own country? Of course they have relation to us, They are part of the human race just like us. I'm not saying we should get to the point where we suffer ourselves in order to keep other countries up. But compared to other countries, We are doing incredibly well, Therefore we can afford to give it away.

Let's say something like 1% of our country's taxes go abroad, Shared out to each country every month. We can get it there by plane or boat or whatever. My point is Zimbabwe's 90% employment rate could become 85% if we give people the resources and energy to challenge their corrupt authority.
liem

Con

all the corrupt and collapsed governments in the middle east have people that are apart of the human race. Even though they behead people or torture people solely based on nationality, Religion or opinion, They still are members of the human race. We shouldn"t be just giving away our money to corrupt governments. When they"re corrupt and or collapsed, Most likely a violent or facist regime holds power. So when we transport our money, How exactly will we get it in the hands of the good people? You can't say they"re strong enough to get the money, Because if they were, They should just overthrow the people in power already and rebuild. There is no good way to get the money to those nations safely, And we shouldn"t be risking our own people"s lives to transport the money there.
Posted by emsiblook 3 years ago
emsiblook