Elaine_Li
themasterdebater_101

Should we implement a Plastic ban

Elaine_Li has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Elaine_Li

Con

Is a plastic ban beneficial or not?
themasterdebater_101

Pro

A plastic ban would be beneficial. More than 300 million tons of plastic are manufactured in the US each year (http://www.answers.com...), which means more than 800,000 tons of plastic are produced on average in one day. Only 10 percent of the plastic is recycled. We have no way to control where all the plastic goes, and, even if we did, we would have no way of getting rid of it, as it can take over 450-1000 years to decompose (https://www.thebalancesmb.com...). I would propose a plan that suggests the US produces 2/3 as much plastic by 2030 (and completely ban plastic bags), then look at what to do then. Notice I am not suggesting a full-on ban, as that would be crazy in some ways. Besides, this ban would also be beneficial to the petroleum industry, as one of the main things petroleum is used for is producing plastic. I know this is a short and perhaps weak argument, but I hope to convince some people of the pros of a plastic ban.
Posted by Zakeishe 3 years ago
Zakeishe
I shall add to this, that, in the University of Tuskegee, a peculiar chemist has found a way to make plastic soluble and biodegradable.