bbasden87
squeakly54n6

Should women be equal with men?

bbasden87

Con

I do no think women are equal with men. I am not saying that I disrespect women or anything. But men are made different them woman. We are made to go into war etc. Can you imagine a woman playing in the NFL? Men are meant to be leaders in the house and in politics. Not women
squeakly54n6

Pro

I would like to start this debate off by stating that this is ridiculous, And sexist.

- While the average man is stronger than a women, With enough hard work a women can be stronger than males. Generally the only reason why men are generally stronger is due to the fact that men play sports more likely than women.

- Women do have a role in politics in fact men in school actually perform worse than the average women does.

The fact of the matter is that men are can be just as strong as men are, And statistically women are smarter than men in the realm of education. I can elaborate more on this point on the next argument.
bbasden87

Con

First off Sexist is defined as: characterized by or showing discrimination, Typically against women, On the basis of sex. I already said I am not showing discrimination towards women. I am just saying that women are not meant to be in the same position as men. Like in the military and men's sports etc. Men and women have different roles in the home and other places as well. But different roles do not indicate differing worth. For example a screwdriver has a different role in the carpenter"s shop than a hammer, But that doesn"t mean one tool is more valuable than the other. The roles of men and women are divinely designed to be complementary. So I am not being sexist. I should have changed this title to " Should women have leading roles in the church, Government etc? "
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. " "Timothy Leary
Now I don't agree that women can be as strong as men. I think women should be in the home and things like that. Men are stronger physically and mentally. They can process things quicker then women. Could you tell me where you got the info that women are smarter than men?
squeakly54n6

Pro

" I already said I am not showing discrimination towards women. I am just saying that women are not meant to be in the same position as men. "

- Showing discrimination is defined as "the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, Especially on the grounds of race, Age, Or sex", . Going off of this definition, You lumping all women in this category of not being strong or not being smart is prejustice, Which makes you a sexist. Also lumping men into this category of all being strong and capable leaders is also a prejudicial treatment of someone just based on their sex. So to summarize, You are exhibiting sexist behavior.

"Now I don't agree that women can be as strong as men. I think women should be in the home and things like that. "

- Once against this is purely sexist, And sexism has no place on a website meant for intellectuals to debate with one another.

" Could you tell me where you got the info that women are smarter than men? "

- I don't think women are smarter than men, I am sorry if you got that from me. What I was refuting were your sexist comments that women have no place in politics when in fact e Data from internationally benchmarked tests show that boys lag behind girls on test averages. The tests also came to the conclusion that women are generally better at reading and writing than their male counterparts, While men are smarter in the realms of math and science. In terms of politics, Reading and writing skills are generally more useful in politics than science and math. Therefore men and women are about equal when it comes down to education.
- Also, You're acting as if women haven't accomplished anything in regards to politics when this is simply a baseless accusation which has no data to support it. To give you some perspective, Here is a list of some of the most influential women throughout history. Queen Elizabeth The First Led a people and saved a nation, Sacajawea helped Lewis and Clark on their journey, Madeleine Albright who was the first secretary of state, Cathrine the great helped cement Russia as the most prosperous nation in history and helped improve the overall welfare of the lower class, Susan B. Anthony was a famous advocate for women's rights, And Hellen Keller who graduated from college despite the fact that she was born deaf and mostly blind. These are just some of the MANY influential women throughout history, The fact still remains that women ARE equal to men and are still capable of the influential things men can do. To summarize, This notion that men and women have assigned roles is BASELESS and isn't backed up by history at all.
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
in general these things are true. Women for the most part have to work harder to be as strong or stronger than men and most of them have no desire to be stronger.

the rest is simply his opinion. I don't agree with some of it. Like going to war? That not man's purpose. Women tend to have mental strength equal to or greater than men.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@melcharaz

" Now I don't agree that women can be as strong as men. "

" Can you imagine a woman playing in the NFL? Men are meant to be leaders in the house and in politics. Not women"

" Men are stronger physically and mentally. "

" We are made to go into war etc. "

" They can process things quicker then women. "
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
I'm sorry, I don't see that in the debate. I just see him trying to make a point about man's natural tendency to fight and lead compared to women's tendency to care at home, Traditional values at the worst, Miss communication at the best.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@melcharaz

I mean I pretty much agree however my opponent was making generally incorrect statements and acting as if women are less superior to men. Men and women have pros and cons. Men are generally prone to being stronger and better at math and science, While women are generally better at English and history and at raising children. My point being is while each gender has their pros and cons, My opponent's argument was not this and was acting as though women were dumber and less stronger than men and they can't achieve that " level " of strength or intelligence. If my opponent used the argument that both genders have pro's and con's but both are equal, I would have been fine with it. Instead, He insisted that he wasn't sexist when he made sexist statements like "Men are meant to be leaders in the house and in politics. Not women, " or " Men are stronger physically and mentally. " Very plainly pro is implying that women are not worth the same amount of value as men are in a society and can't achieve the same level as men. Which of course is sexist.
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
there is a difference between observing factual data and then observing data that might be true in a specific area, Place or time and strictly propaganda used to cause dissension.

I'm not making a generalization, I'm stating a scientific observation, Something that is for the most part true, Though not 100 % it is still fairly accurate as far as we can observe.

how does a society determine worth? In some societies women are treated like pack mules and have value, In other places they hold offices and rallies and are often criticized as a nuisance or don't address a real issue. I'm not gonna argue sociological theories and interpretations, But I will say that men and women have varying degree of physical and mental structure that make them more suited to some tasks or if you will, Jobs. That the opposite sex tends to not fair as well in in general understanding. Anyone with will power and tenacity can make themselves Good if not exceptional in any field or work, But it most often takes more work and learning to achieve a state similar to what the opposite sex may obtain through less work and/or learning.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@melcharaz

He also acts as though just because women are physically weaker, It makes women less valuable to society as evidenced by the fact that he wants to restrict women in the military or he wants to restrict women in politics by making statements such as " Men are meant to be in politcs, " or " Now I don't agree that women can be as strong as men, ". Again these are very plainly sexist and discriminatory statements.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@melcharz

I mean this logic could be used in support of racism, Homophobia, Or anti-Semitism. Racists make similar statements such as " generally black people are criminals" or " White people are racist". This was most infamously used in the Holocaust where nazi's used the logic that " Well some Jews are good however 90 percent are evil so let's send them all to the gas chambers". This logic isn't exactly that strong. Making generalizations based on facts is fine however my opponent not only used several incorrect facts but acts as if we should put women in these certain roles in society regardless of their traits and personality. Which very plainly is sexist.
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
in general, Men have more ambition than women and are stronger physically, This isn't a sexist statement, Its a biological observation, Or a fact if you will.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@melcharaz

I got a tiny bit offended of my opponants sexist arguements. Sexism is defined as one's prejustice against someone because of their gender, Going off of this definition, My opponant making states that " Men are meant to be leaders in the house and in politics. Not women" or my personal favorite " Men are stronger physically and mentally, ". These are the text book definition of sexist statements which has no place in a website designed for intellectuals.
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
Also, I think squeakly got offended and started ignoring the suggesting and assumed the comments by bbasden, He/she explained that the purpose of woman differed in nature when compared to men and this is true. Also he told his beliefs of how "A woman should be at home. " that's no more sexist than if a person said "A man should be at home. " only its defined as sexist because of the derogatory treatment that people have casually put on women that has stained the mindset of people. That or its fear of women screaming sexist at such notions. Anyways, I don't believe this debate went anywhere in context because of closed minds in regard to fear or upsetting women through outdated stereotypes that aren't applicable to everyone, Only to those who see women as less valuable than men.

As to women leading church and state, I listed what scripture says about women teaching in church, But the rest of it is pretty open. Most of the ambition tend to lie with men and pride as well. Women can do everything else, And even some Greek experts translate the scripture "Women ought not to teach" has to do with the behavior of women seducing or using feminine charms to persuade men to teach the Bible a certain way.

Example. A woman likes wearing jewellery and through her beauty convinces the pastor/preacher/reverend to not preach against it. Or uses sexual innuendos to hint at a reward for not speaking of certain things, Or for most henpecked husbands, A clearing of the throat or a agitated gesture/stare.

which I agree with whole heartily that women shouldn't do.