YeshuaBought
billsands

Should women who use drugs be sterilized by force?

YeshuaBought

Pro

I am refering to women who either take medications that cause birth defects or women who use recreational drugs. The proceedure in question is called a salpingectomy where she has her tubes removed. I take life saving medications that cause birth defects, That is why I had a salpingectomy.
billsands

Con

Drug abuse is a medical problem people that use drugs should get treatment not punsihment, Women who get treatment like in portugal are more likely to give up drugs than those hiding from the law in fear. . Portugal decriminalized drugs in an experiment to deal with a dire drug problem over then years ago. . Police worriesd this would make the problem explode. . And my assumption was also that though the policy was more humane its effectiveness was quationable, The results have shocked everyone, Instead of sky rocketing leninet treatment has not led to more addicts. When confronted police no longer arrst users instead ask them if they would like help to quit, 99% of junkies would love to quit, Being an addict is hell. . As a result the number of addicts was cut to half, Sterilization of chicks is discriminatory and like way harsh dude and no way to treat anyone in a liberal society based on individual rights, No way man, Totally uneeded harshness. . Treatment is better. . Out right legalization would be whack drugs do so much harm. . But the better way is to help those hooked to get off drugs. . Prison ruins peoples lives even worse than the drugs.
YeshuaBought

Pro

I agree with your premise. The reason I say this is because the drugs cause birth defects and the babies suffer.
billsands

Con

And they do, But your solution is like amptuating you arm because you suffer from a hangnail. . I would say both are excessively extreme. . Less harsh solutions exist that do not violate constituional rights. . In a free society you simply don't do things like that. . It defeats the whole premise of a free society
YeshuaBought

Pro

YeshuaBought forfeited this round.
billsands

Con

Sterilization by the way would constitute cruel and unusual punishment which is constitutioonally prohibited
YeshuaBought

Pro

YeshuaBought forfeited this round.
billsands

Con

to just strilize women would also violate equal prtoection another constituional violation.