someone_here
ConservativeDebating

Single-sex school are better than co-educational school

ConservativeDebating has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

someone_here

Con

Hello, I am the opposing side of this debate. Today's motion is," Single-sex school are better than co-educational school." I disagree with this statement. I am going to state three reasons to support my stance.

To begin, I would like to divine this staement. Single-sex school only have one gender's student while co-ed school have both gender.

Firstly, coed schools offer a diverse curriculum that is available to all students, deemphasizing gender-linked stereotypes related to coursework. Coed schools encourage all children to explore a broad range of learning opportunities. Also it provides opportunities for girls and boys to interact together meaningfully as they learn. Boys and girls learn to respect one another and cooperate as equals.
Overall, co-education school gives student a bigger space for exploration.

Secondly, co-ed schools can boost students" confidence when they are facing their opposite genders. Their confidence of facing different genders can be trained as they interact. Since in co-educational school, boys and girls usually interact with one another, after they get used to it, they will not feel uncomfortable or embarrassed. As such, this system of study helps both the boys and girls enhance their confidence.
Besides, co-educational schools can train teenagers" discipline when they are facing their opposite genders. Comparing the behaviors of students in single-sex school and co-educational school, we can see that most of the students in co-educational school behave better than single-sex school. Girls behave more elegantly in front of boys and boys usually remain gentler. This is because they both want to leave the opposite sex a good impression. Teachers may grab this chance to let good behaviors draw into their habit and to let them get used to it when they facing the opposite genders in the future.

Thirdly, boys and girls can help one another with their special strengths when they study together. Usually, boys are good at sports, mathematics and science while girls are good at learning language,literature,music and arts. Telling people what they should be good at could potentially enhance their interest in something that they can have talent and potential for success in. For thousands of years, people have known that the best way to understand a concept is to explain it to someone else. "While we teach, we learn," said the Roman philosopher Seneca. This also results in improving of their academic results. Therefore, we have always said that girls and boys benefit from the very wide range of subjects to be found in mixed schools and they gain from the increased level of personal freedom in choosing subjects.For both girls and boys, co-education provides a more realistic way of training young person to take their places natural. It helps provides an excellent foundation for the development of realistic, meaningful and lasting relationships in later life.

Based on the aforementioned arguments, our team believes that today"s motion must not stand.

Thank you!
ConservativeDebating

Pro

Introduction:
Hi! This is one of my first few debates, so I'm excited and let's have a good one!

1. Single-Sex Schools Break Down Gender Stereotypes

Your first point is misplaced, as this is more of a PRO argument than a CON one. You simply assert that "coed schools encourage all children to explore a broad range of learning opportunities". This is an inaccurate statement. The opposite is in fact true. In a coeducational institution, members of both genders are present which causes intense sociological pressure. For example, if boys and girls are in the same school, the girls might be shyed away from joining their AP Computer Science or AP Physics class, because it is heavily male dominated. Similarly, a boy might be shyed away from joining an arts class because it is heavily female dominated. In a single sex school, these pressures a far less present. Then, a student doesn't have to worry about being massively outnumbered by the opposite sex, yet they still have the opporunity to take the class. This actually encourages an environment where a broader range of people feel better to join a broader range of activities.

2. Different Needs and Specialziation
It should not be a surprise that boys and girls are different, and as such, this effects the way each learn. For example, girls usually prefer collaborative and discussion-based learning, whereas boys would usually dominate those discussions or group work. Another example is that boys tend to work better in colder environments whereas girls work better in warming ones. Single sex schools make it possible for schools to specialize on the qualities of that respective gender to improve the overall learning experience.

3. Distractions and Parental Involvement
Many parents wish their students to be in a single-sex environment for the purpose of avoiding distractions by the opposite sex. Single-sex educational institutions should always be an availabe option for these parents who desire it for their children. Furthermore, their concerns are not completely misplaced. Especially during teenage years, coeducational institutions are much easier for hormone-filled students to get distracted from their curriculum.

Responses:
Your First Point:
Look to my first point, this is a PRO argument.

Your Second Point:
This is an assertion without too much logic behind it. Students in single-sex institutions won't never have met a person of the opposite sex, its just that they should during their classes. There is no reason why collaborating with members of the opposite gender is important during class, especially when that collaboration is usually male-dominated. People will still treat each other nicely and will learn better ways to 'date' as they go forward. I think education is more important at the educational institution, not the capability to confidently ask someone out.

Your Third Point:
This point is similar to my first one, in that the opposite is true. Due to gender stereotypes, it is much more likely that each gender dominates their respective field or discussion, rather than 'help' each other. This is a mischaracterization of what happens in a coeducational institution.

Summary:
In this debate, it seems that the PRO has two main arguments and the CON has one. On the PRO, 1) Same-Sex Educational Institutions Break Down Gender Stereotypes and 2) Same-Sex Educational Institutions Allows Learning Specialization. On the CON, the only decent argument is that Coeducational Institutions Form a Closer Bond. At the end of the day, it is clear the benefits to the PRO outweigh the CON.
someone_here

Con

Hello:) Thanks for accepting my debate challenge, this is first time for me to do a debate here. I am looking forward to it, let's have fun!

Just now, my dear opponent has highlighted that my first point in first round is a PRO argument since single-sex schools break down gender stereotypes . In here, I would like to argue that this point is invalid because they can cooperate with each other with their strength. Under the situation that boys will feel shy to learn art since this subject is female dominated, instead of feeling shy, I believe that boys can learn more under this pressure. From a quote, "Pressure makes diamonds." by General George S. Patton. We can see that boys can get a better performance in arts when they are under the pressure of girls. Girls can teach them with their strength in art. Boys can also learn to be better by observing them.

My opponents also mention that," It should not be a surprise that boys and girls are different, and as such, this effects the way each learn." I would like to argue that it is inappropriate. Co-educational schools offer a diverse curriculum that is available to all students, emphasizing gender-linked stereotypes related to coursework. Therefore, it encourage all children to explore a broad range of learning opportunities. It also provide opportunities for girls and boys to interact together meaningfully as they learn. Boys and girls learn to respect one another and cooperate as equals.

Response to your third argument,"Many parents wish their students to be in a single-sex environment for the purpose of avoiding distractions by the opposite sex." I believe that motions such as love don"t have to be distractions. For many young people, wanting to impress others can actually motivate them to work harder than usual. The intention of wanted to attract others can be the force to push them to be more hardworking. Their grades improve, and they might even grab the attention of that special someone.

To conclude, since the arguments of the PRO side is invalid. Therefore, this motion must not stand.